Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an '85 GW GL interstate and of course needs new rear tire. What is your best sudgestion for a replacement? I have seen two local GoldWing members with car tires on rear. Your thoughts on that topic valued.:)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'd stick with an OEM recommended tire. I wouldn't trust a car tire install. A motorcycle tire is designed to perform in ways a car tire is not. Though it's your life if you choose to live life in that way.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
OEM tire is my recommendation. I've seen car tires used on GL1800's but not on Wings prior to 2001 when Honda went to radial tires. Save yourself time and trouble and get the OEM size tire. JMHO...

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
I've seen a video of a car tire put on a GL1200. When he turned, only about an inch of the outside tread is making contact with the road. Definitely not the way the tire was designed to be used!

Stick with the proper equipment and play it safe!

I am running Dunlop E3s on mine, front and rear. It has never handled as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have only used OEM Dunlap Qualifiers, since my 1984 Aspencade was bought new, except once. I had another tire put on, that was very popular, to get me on a planned ride, until the Dunlap OEM came in. (Dunlap was on strike for awhile) Anyways, I hated the other tire, and it was only a fraction of an inch wider. I will never understand, someone putting a car tire on a motorcycle. As stated in a previous post, in a turn, how much rubber is in contact wit......Hmmm, gives me a warm, fuzzy.....I also ride an 1800 GW, and a CBR 1000rr, and can not ever imagine a car tire on one on those eithe.......... Oh well, there is always someone trying to outsmart these manufacturing engineers. Make sure they grease the splines, as most shops will not.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Oem only! Why tempt fate???i have dunlop qualifiers both new installed this spring and they work great!!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
After my post in the Wheels and Tyres section, most members know my thoughts on 'darksiding'. On a one-off custom "bar bike" I could see me doing it, but then I wouldn't actually be riding the thing. I'd likely go to a 300 series rear first for the job, and they're not that great to ride on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts