Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual states the Standard normal pre-load position is set at zero. I have no idea what mine ought be as I have only had my GL 1800A for about 2 weeks.

I weigh 170 and am 5'10" tall. I do not ride agressive but I am no slow polk either. Any recommendations on what my pre-load ought to be set at?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/recommendations.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I am about your height and outweigh you by about 60 lbs. I run my presets at around 17 for softer ride and 22 for spirited riding or carrying a passenger. The higher the number the stiffer the ride and about 20 matches my 07 FJR set to soft. So, try upping the number by 5 or 6 and give it a ride for a few miles. Then up it again and re-do the ride. Can't hurt anything and you will get a better idea of how you want it to feel. It's all about how you want it to behave.:D

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
180# here. I keep mine at the max 25. I don't ride hard but I like a hard ride and the unconventional rear tire I put on my Wing softens the bumps by virtue of its design. 18 was my previous solo setting for highway slab riding trips. Back road scenic rides I would bump it up to max 25 for what I felt was better handling in the tight curves.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I ride at 10# when alone, 20# when two up and 25#(max) when two up and loaded down for long trip touring.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think the preload will work differntly depending on the bike. I put mine at 21 and found it was a good compromise between getting good turn in, overall handling, cornering clearance, and not so stiff. I noticed at 25 the rear would bounce across rough pavement. Now with the car tire, I have it maxxed out at 25 for cornering clearance without the harshness in the ride. Take time to fiddle with it and see what setting you prefer for comfort and handling. If the front end feels like it's pushing, preload the rear a bit more. You will eventually find a point where the bike handles the way you like it without being overly stiff.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I have my presets at 20 and 25; 20 for liesurely floating along and I use 25 for two up or 'spirited' me only giggle time. I have used it set at 22 for me and herself with minimal gear aboard and it's quite good there too. I have noticed that even at the top #25 position it doesn't get harsh, even on some of our pogo stick pavement around here, just mildly firm. I tip the scales at 205# so that may account for some of the differences I've found.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts