Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 89 GL1500, I often adjust my rear air for myself....then when riding a passenger, as Im sure we all do.
But 2 things are on my mind.
1 being the fact that my aging air system struggles to air up my ride......and to hold the air long term.
and 2, over time i notice my rear tire wearing off center. I credit this to the spring being a constant....and the air side always changing.
I recently found myself in a rare opportunity to get all mad scientist ......because I just purchased a complete, yet dead GL 1500 for parts. Im thinking of using my spare spring shock to replace my air shock......running duel springs, and no air ride.
I can find zero information on doing this, so I assume no one has?
Seems like it should work great.....on paper.....but id love some input.
A single shock is NOT able to support the bike very well alone......so while maybe alittle firm......in my mind it should make my rear much more stable......?:nerd:

·
Premium Member
17,173 Posts
On the left side under the rear side panel back by the front edge of saddle bag you should see the pump on the bottom is a glass bowl with the dry crystal. That dry to air going through the pump. They are probably blue in color, the should be clear if they are dry. If their blue take the out and put them on a micro wave safe placend heat them for a few second do this till they turn to a clear look.
Also with bike on the center stand get hold of the bottom of the rear wheel and try to move it side to side. Ifit moves the rear wheel bearing needs replacing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info, thanks.
It has gotten to the point where i can air up the shock with compressor in garage, but the on board just runs and runs with no effect.
Wheel bearings are good, I just had it all apart as I Dark Sided my Goldwing ( best mod I ever did )
65% or the time there are 2 of us on the bike, and even aired up i can really tell the diff from where my eye line is from the top of the windshield, and i dont like having to run that much pressure for 2 people. (107 to 110 with us sitting on the bike at a stop sign ) Any lower, and the rear droops noticeably on the road.
So running 2 coil overs is deff in my future

·
Premium Member
17,173 Posts
Good info, thanks.
It has gotten to the point where i can air up the shock with compressor in garage, but the on board just runs and runs with no effect.
Wheel bearings are good, I just had it all apart as I Dark Sided my Goldwing ( best mod I ever did )
65% or the time there are 2 of us on the bike, and even aired up i can really tell the diff from where my eye line is from the top of the windshield, and i dont like having to run that much pressure for 2 people. (107 to 110 with us sitting on the bike at a stop sign ) Any lower, and the rear droops noticeably on the road.
So running 2 coil overs is deff in my future
Be very Carefull using a shop compressor to air up the shocks, Although shocks are high press they are Low volume and it's easy to blow out the seals. Progressive makes a nice Metered Hand pump for airing up shocks by hand.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Great advise from Ron as usual. Being stupid, I filled my '82 rear shock at a service station pump. Not good :(! The good news is it doesn't take long :).
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your situation is how our GWRRA Chapter Director came to get his 1500. The original owner complained of a wobble. He tried a number of different things to correct it, but finally decided to just be rid of the bike. After taking it to an independent GW mechanic, the mech pointed out the problem wasn't in the front end, but having a bad rear air shock combined with a standard shock. He offered to get another air shock for it. Our guy told him no, and ordered up a set of the Progressive spring over shocks, which have an adjustable collar for setting the preload. Once installed, the wobble was gone forever and the ride was even better than when it was new. Short answer to your question, yes, putting the other standard shock on will work, and no, you won't die because of it. I do believe putting two new Progressive shocks on your bike would be the best solution all the way around, better ride, no fighting with the compressor, and you may even find a preset position that works whether one or two up. Good luck, ride safe.

·
Registered
326 Posts
On my 89 GL1500, I often adjust my rear air for myself....then when riding a passenger, as Im sure we all do.
But 2 things are on my mind.
1 being the fact that my aging air system struggles to air up my ride......and to hold the air long term.
and 2, over time i notice my rear tire wearing off center. I credit this to the spring being a constant....and the air side always changing.
I recently found myself in a rare opportunity to get all mad scientist ......because I just purchased a complete, yet dead GL 1500 for parts. Im thinking of using my spare spring shock to replace my air shock......running duel springs, and no air ride.
I can find zero information on doing this, so I assume no one has?
Seems like it should work great.....on paper.....but id love some input.
A single shock is NOT able to support the bike very well alone......so while maybe alittle firm......in my mind it should make my rear much more stable......?:nerd:
I don't remember the 1500 coming with rear air shocks. But then at 71, I don't remember a whole lot about the bikes I've had. Did you buy this bike new with rear air shocks.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Depends on which model it is... the SE had air shock on the rear and an on board air compressor. With the correct hose you could use it to air up your tires. The right saddle bag had a air hose in it.... takes a hose with two female ends on it.
And the key has to be in the correct position for it to put air in that hose. My 98 SE was so equipped.

I was getting ready to go the progressive route, it was getting where it leaked..... but upgraded to my 2013

·
Registered
326 Posts
Depends on which model it is... the SE had air shock on the rear and an on board air compressor. With the correct hose you could use it to air up your tires. The right saddle bag had a air hose in it.... takes a hose with two female ends on it.
And the key has to be in the correct position for it to put air in that hose. My 98 SE was so equipped.

I was getting ready to go the progressive route, it was getting where it leaked..... but upgraded to my 2013
Yes, now I remember. My 1992 Interstate did not have air shock in the rear. I came across a great web site that tells the entire history of all Goldwing models from 1975 to the present. I'll try and add the History here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My '88 GL1500 (not the SE) rear shocks are the Air/ Norm shock combo, air hose in Pannier etc... I think it makes sense to have one load bearing, one height adjuster? You will laugh my first ride I thought oh wow adjustable on the move suspenion... Happily playing with my buttons only to find I was almost flat! So now I adjust on the centre stand in the shed before the ride... I believe this is correct? ( Owners manual on the way, btw). My front forks are stock and I will be rebuilding with Progressive Springs and I'm thinking of adding air caps to the forks. Yes I realise this is an old subject, but hey to keep things moving is what a Wizard Does... Wing Wizard Outback Australia. Kalgoorlie. WA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts