Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 with premium sound and navagation.

I installed a 400 w amp that runs an 8" Sub and upgraded the speakers all the way around, the amp gets its signal from the rear speakers. After all was said and done the rear speakers do not come on in ON/ACC, only after the stereo is turned on and playing and I start the bike then they come on. Also if I start the bike before turning on stereo the rear speakers do not come on. Weird. Anyway during all this work I found some wires cut from trunk hinges so repaired them and then rerouted the wiring so they do not go around the hinges, check all wires and fixed all found.

Has anyone experienced something like this before??? :(

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
Oooooh, electrical gremlins:eek: I'd suspect some wire glitch yet uncovered but I'm a wire dummy so. Maybe trike lady or another electrical guru can shed more light.

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
That wire bundle clamped to the trunk hinge looks like a problem waiting to happen. I'm good so far, but I can see it coming.

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
What happens if you disconnect the amp?

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
GolfWinger,

I'd have thought your bigger problem would be staying on the bike with those levels of dBs bouncing off you!

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Not having the bike here to look at, is like trying to do brain surgery over the phone. But I'll give it a try.
It sounds like the internal circuit of the amp are loading the audio going to the speaker. Have you tried swapping the audio leads where they attach to the amp.

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
You might need something between the amp and the bike's system to isolate it.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
If the amp has a low input impedance it could cause loading of the audio for the rear speaker.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I am guessing that you have tapped into the factory harness going to the rear speakers to send audio in to the aftermarket Amp. do you know if the wires that you tapped into are before or after the factory amp? if it is after the music has been amplified with the factory amp you may want to change it to before the factory amp and use a High level to RCA converter http://www.legacycaraudio.com/sku/LN60 then use the RCA connections to input the sound into the Aftermarket amp. I have many more questions for you in regards to the install. so maybe you can fill us in on the exact installation so we can help you more.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Look at it this way, the extra power being drawn from the battery for the extra amp is not going to it, thus draining your battery down to the point of not starting the bike. LOL.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You never want to send an amplified speaker level signal to a line level input. You are lucky if you haven't blown the amp (or massively distorted the signal). This is not wing specific, but general audio rules. You need a line level signal to input into a power amp. Can't tell you whee to find it. Just that you need it. Hope this helps. I would call a technician that does this for a living for the proper configuration. Tha amp you save may be your own.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's like plugging one power amp into another power amp. A big no no. Pre-amp into power amp is ok. The power going to the speakers is post amplifier. It has already been amplified. This can blow stuff up to feed it into amp expecting an input signal. Some amps can accept various level inputs, but never a fully amplified signal meant to drive a speaker. Talk to a Honda dealer as to where to tap the signal. At least that's my best guess for a source. I am no Wing wiring expert, but I do know about audio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.