Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reasonably new to this forum but I have been a member of other areas as an owner of other motorcycles.

I reside in the UK so that presents a problem straight away LOL but I purchased a brand new wing as a gift to myself on retirement etc etc.

Now my biggest gripe is that of course I purchased an EU spec rather than a US spec wing which when you look at the differences are quite dramatical, the EU version (UK) has so much missing from the US spec. You might ask what is the difference well there is quite a lot particluarly with the wiring looms and add ons.

I ordered the bike and there it was in the showroom but I needed a few things added on. The dealer has been great and helped me so much with different things, so I collected the bike and away I went.

After parking the bike I saw that the rear lights situated on the panniers were not working! The dealer had fitted the Top Box (Truck) spolier and all was okay, but the lights on the panniers were not illuminated! I returned to the dealer thinking that a fuse had blown but they told me that on the EU or UK spec machine, there were no bulbs or bulb holders fitted to the EU or UK spec machine, it was there but it was a blank!

What a sham. The light units are fitted but there are no bulb holders etc but on the US spec, the lights are fitted and working.

I have written two letters to Honda UK explaining my delema but they have refused to reply nd comment, my thoughts are towards safety rather than anything else, the units are there so why not have them working!

For a machine at this price, one would expect it to be the dogs goolies and all lights would be working. It is funny that the US spec bike has them fitted and working but then EU version does not! I dont want to ride a Christmas Tree but I would like to ride a bike with the basic lighting up and running without having to add light units and wiring, my thoughts are on safety rather than anything else.

Honda UK have not got back to me on this and so far have ignored two letters that I have sent, what a sham, I do not mince y words and I do not mess about, Honda UK realy should sort themselves out because if I had have known that these bag lights were not wired and working then I would not have purchased the bike!

Food for thought, would you have purchased your bike where the the light units were fitted but not wired up!

Mick

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Mick, That just doesn't make sense. I don't understand why they would do something like that. Sure it would save a few dollars/pounds but it can't be that much ????
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mick, first off welcome to the forum, great bunch of people here. As far as your bottom lights not working you can blame the uk government of roads for that . We have the same situation here downunder in Oz . I ended up running a new wiring loom which picked up from the top lights, and drilling out the holes in the lenses to accomadate the new bulb holders. I'm afraid that is the only way out, but after its done it does make a difference to the rear . People behined will notice you more especially at night. Why they dont have this as standard like in the US i'll never know :mad:

Len

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome Mick,

I have to echo Len's comments as another Aussie we too have contacted Honda etc and to no avail, unlike WDU me & wires just don't match so it was put up or shut up basically so for the saftey reason i bit the bullet on approx $150 to get them wired up like a couple of my riding buddies before me!
I would have still bought my GW....BUT.... if i had met my GW buddies prior or had been reading this forum before i bought the bike it would have been a part of the deal for sure!!!
I guess we need to get the message out so that many potential buyers will negotiate this before handing over the big $$ in both our countries

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good News!

Thanks for the replies at least someone else has the same like mind as I have.

The Good News is that because I had spoken to the dealer about the issue I received a telephone call this morning from the dealer asking me to pop in so I made my way across.

A couple of hours later, the rear light units had been removed, the blanks drilled out and bulb holders fitted and all wired up all for the price of a couple of beers.

This was not as a result of my letters to Honda, it was the dealer that helped me out, hats off to them and now Micky is a happy bunny :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Back when the 1500 was out on showroom floors, they had not been fitted with lights in the saddlebag lids, just reflectors. Most everyone had changed that with aftermarket lights. And Hey Honda! Goldwing owners love lots of lights!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
European lighting standards are different than the US. That is why the lamps on your bike do not light up.
There are several requirements different for import to your area than in the US.
You probably would open yourself up to having problems if you modified the lamps to light.
But, it's your bike.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the replies at least someone else has the same like mind as I have.

The Good News is that because I had spoken to the dealer about the issue I received a telephone call this morning from the dealer asking me to pop in so I made my way across.

A couple of hours later, the rear light units had been removed, the blanks drilled out and bulb holders fitted and all wired up all for the price of a couple of beers.

This was not as a result of my letters to Honda, it was the dealer that helped me out, hats off to them and now Micky is a happy bunny :)
Hey Micky
Glad to hear you got them wired up and for a couple of cold one's too!!! happy days......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
European lighting standards are different than the US. That is why the lamps on your bike do not light up.
There are several requirements different for import to your area than in the US.
You probably would open yourself up to having problems if you modified the lamps to light.
But, it's your bike.
I have checked through the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs and Construction and Use Regulations over here and I was unable to find any legislastion to say that they should not or can't be wired up unless I have missed something here.

If Honda knew of any legislation covering the fact then why did they not reply to my mail it would have been so easy. There are more plus sides of having them wired for safety reasons than negative ones hence me getting them wired and working.

Mick

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome and glad you got your lights sorted. I don't understand why there are different restrictions for the UK and Au regarding these lights, but as our Aussie friends found out, it's actually illegal down there to have them! I think they all said bollox an did 'em anyway. Why not if it's a visibility thing? Honda is a very conservative thinking corporation when it comes to adhereing to local juristictional laws and regs, yet they can throw caution to the wind and design something like the Rune (FLOP):confused:

·
Registered
219 Posts
We really shouldn't blame Honda, mainly because they are following the rules set out by that country. We have certain Toyota, Mitsubishi,Hyundai and few other model cars that also have their lower rear tail lights not working but the upper ones working instead. Its these IDIOTS who sit behined the desk chewing on a pencil and trying to think of different ways to bust peoples [email protected]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Now can you say that a Goldwing with the lower lights disabled stands out at night more than a wing with all its lights working. Which brain dead government official worked that out.

I say let there be LIGHT

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not sure it's actually illegal to have them wired up down under (well 99% sure it's not) it's the standards/regulations/road authority etc etc that don't require Honda to wire them up, when they are built over there (USA) for certain countries Honda USA would just build to that countries required standards i guess! saving a buck or two...... Most of the bikes/buddies i know have had them done just cause we can....looks better & most of all safety. I would challenge any authority here to try and book a Winger for having the bottom lights hooked up! (never will happen)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
My mistake guys, I thought WDU said he wasn't sure if he'd get hassled by the Leo's for the extra lights so I took it to mean they were not legal. Is pretty stupid not to have them though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts