Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some completely stupid idea the morons down under in oz have made the goldwings come out without no lower rear lights . Thats the lights on the saddle bags. I removed the lower tail lights and discovered that there is not even the holes in the tail lights to put the globe and globe holders in. Theres not even the wiring harness for the lights, they are just there for show :mad:
My question is , If i removed the taillights and drilled the holes for the globe holders and run the wiring up to the trunk and piggy backed onto the trunk lights, would this cause any extra load or drain on the wiring to the trunk lights.
I know that some of the guys with the earlier model just hooked up to the wiring harness which was laying next to the lenses but on my 2010 model they dont even have the harness there.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem since the stock wire harness is designed for that set up. Many years back when I went on a tour of the Honda plant in Marysville, Ohio they said that each country has different standards for the bikes that come into their country, Canada wouldn't let the GL 1500 enter with the side marker lights so they had to be reflectors.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Joe can you explain or show what you mean by the side marker lights?

As i think this could be another Aussie 'leave off' item...........as the only light on side of my GW is a reflector on front brake cover.

wing down under and I discussed this about our rear bottom lights the other day, a couple of other owners in town here had them hooked up after for a few hundred $$, I said to them i wish i had prior knowledge of this as this would have been part of the deal before purchase just for the saftey aspect alone.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys
I spoke to the dealer and he told me that on the earlier models they had the wiring harnes for the lights there but they wer'nt pluged into the lights. So what the guys did down here was to plug them in and Bob's your uncle everything is sweet. On the later models they got rid of the wiring harness and fitted the tailights without the holes for the bulb holders. The reason being is thats what the ADR rules stipulate (AUstralian Design Rules).
Some d%$#head who sits behined a desk and nothing else to do comes up with this bright idea:mad:. I thought the more lights you have at night the better other people can see you, but thats just me thinking i'm just a rider who dose'nt know whats good for me.
Anyway i thought that if i piggyback the wiring from the trunk and pass it down into the saddle bags and hook them up to the lower lights it should work . Its just that i,m not sure about the extra drainage of power to the extra lights . I 99% sure i should be fine.

What!!!! You mean the saddle bag lights are nothing more than red reflectors
You got it and yellow reflectors as well. There virtually there for looks:mad:

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Wing. From what I can see on the " Tail lights " schematic in the Service Manual, ALL brake lights + the license light run off the same fuse relay. It looks like a Go so far as the amp draw is concerned.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up chopin, looks like a go for sure and now that its winter here i will be doing the job soon. :)

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Winter! Everything about you is bassackwards. What's it like living 180 degrees off center ? project your of informed us Keep . Chopin Sincerely,

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
So, what kind of problems could you have by activating lower lamps that apparently have been deemed illegal?
Just wondering. Here in the States, the minimun is a ticket, the worst is having your bike impounded. Although I have never known of anyone's bike being impounded-it is in the law!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Wing Down Under and cloud09: PM coming your way.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Winter! Everything about you is bassackwards. What's it like living 180 degrees off center
Hey 411nippohC
Tell me about it, it took my dealer 3 days to convert my goldwing to right hand drive:)
As far as winter is concerned we get it 6 months before you do so technically we are ahead of you. The only other difference is that all electrical currents including bikes and cars flows anticlockwise.

siht dear ot elba eb lliw uoy seerged 081 rotinom rouy nrut uoy fi oS

Will let you know how i go with the wiring:)

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Hey 411nippohC
Tell me about it, it took my dealer 3 days to convert my goldwing to right hand drive:)
As far as winter is concerned we get it 6 months before you do so technically we are ahead of you. The only other difference is that all electrical currents including bikes and cars flows anticlockwise.

siht dear ot elba eb lliw uoy seerged 081 rotinom rouy nrut uoy fi oS

Will let you know how i go with the wiring:)
`ehcouT !!!!!!!!... errr....... !!!!!!!!!`ehcouT

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ha Ha!

Don't forget the toilet or bathroom! flushes in the opposite direction over there not here!

And we have left handed screwdrivers & metric shifters as well.................which is why our dealers take forever to do stuff............lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just resurrecting this thread to let you know how I am getting around similar problems with a bike bearing a Queensland compliance plate.

Mine is an Grey Import 89 Wing from Japan, imported 3 years ago & the previous owner had done no modifications to the lighting.

It had left & right upper brakelights, & lower left & right taillights. Spoiler was wired as a brakelight. All bulbs other than the spoiler were twin element, and simply had one set of wiring disconnected. Reconnected that easily enough & took the opportunity to switch all the rear lights to LEDs & now have dual tail/brake lights. I left the spoiler solely as a brake light as I thought the LEDs didnt give enough contrast between the tail & brake lights.

I lined the Registration Plate light with foil & replaced it with an LED. Its now so bright the speed cameras wont have to flash (or with luck the excess light will wash out the image) :)

The lights behind the "Goldwing" logo had also been disconnected & when I source the fittings I will put LED's here too as tail lights only, with a lower wattage than the others so the brake lights stand out more.

Saddlebag lights are only set up as reflectors but the bolts have seized & I havent got to them yet. I may leave them as they are, as side lights could cause confusion as they are not common in Queensland. The front fairing lights have also been disconnected & when I get to them they will have to be wired as indicators.

Indicators I will leave as incandescent bulbs unless I get the urge to replace the flasher relays to some that will cope with LED's

The replaced bulbs are all stored in the boot for breakage replacement

Now the radio....... but that is for another thread

·
Registered
150 Posts
hey scons

Sounds like you have been very busy!

I bought the OEM spoiler and at the same time got the three way insert LED for it so I have running & brake light + turn signals in the spoiler, works a treat.

ps - will be riding down through your way in April/May (after the wet) I will send you a PM

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought the OEM spoiler and at the same time got the three way insert LED for it so I have running & brake light + turn signals in the spoiler, works a treat.

ps - will be riding down through your way in April/May (after the wet) I will send you a PM
Hi cloud - My spoiler lenses all seem to be red, so I dont think I could include indicators, but you've got me thinking. I like dabbling with the electrics as I'm comfortable with them. The mechanical side is another matter.

I have a son in TSV - those Yasi pics you put up look a lot like his patch in Hermit Park after Yasi.

Sure let me know when youre coming down. Any excuse for a cold beer

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah not far away just over the ross river from Hermit park in Annandale!

I will let you know when we go, we plan to stay overnight at Yaamba pub on the Bruce Hwy, so you can go for a ride at the same time perhaps!

Check your private messages to mate.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yaamba is only an hour from Yeppoon (if I stick to the bitumen) Slightly shorter if I cut across via Artillery Rd & The Caves. Not sure if that road is all sealed yet - there's an excuse for me to scout it out.

I assume you mean the Royal Oak hotel (pic) I know it

PM received ok = thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just did a Google Earth cruise to Yaamba - short cut is sealed, some narrow bitumen & concrete creek fords - looks like an interesting ride that would keep me off the Bruce Hwy for 15 minutes or so. Have 2 kids & their spouses & 5 grandkids arriving tomorrow for Christmas (Tsv son is going to inlaws in Home Hill) so bike will be up on the stand for the best part of the next week , after that I'll check it out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts