Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 65 mph I begin to get a pulsating rumble coming from the rear of my '98 Aspy. It has 127K on it so don't know if this is the final drive gears roaring or not. Also, don't know if this is standard for wings since this is my first. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
When was the last time the gear oil changed?
When you change it look for metal particles in the oil.
Put the bike on the center-stand, put the trans in neutral and spin the rear wheel and listen for any strange noises. You can start the bike and run it in gear to locate the sound emanating from the final drive.
Check the wheel bearings.
When was the last time the splines in the front coupler greased?
There are compensators in the rear wheel that could also be worn out.
If the final drive is bad, contact a trike shop, they usually have take offs in storage.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rear end rumble

I know about auto differentials but not about wings. I assume that there really is no differential but has to be some type of gears. Having bought the bike from someone, they only had it a year and doesn't know anything about the servicing. I don't know where to look to check these fluids.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Under the right side (as if you are seated on bike) saddlebag there is a housing and there is a drain plug at the bottom and a fill plug at the top at the very top of the final drive case is a vent. It may be listed in the owners manual about the final drive and the fluid amount used.
It is basically a drive and driven gear set up in the case.
The attached exploded views should help.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Have the same situation. Mine does it if i lean the bike a bit. It is the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
GoldDigger and Lonewolfx;
Put the bike on the center stand and get hold of the bottom of the wheel and try to move it side to side if you get movement the rear bearings a going south.
GoldDigger: with 127,000 on the wing it could be the rear bearings are going out. That's about the mile I had on mine when they went, but I also had pulled a trail close to 30,000 miles at least.
If you are going to change the final drive and you should.
Get some SAE 80W-85-90 gear oil in the plastic quart bottle from NAPA. It has a pointed cap on it. Also get about 18 inches of rubber surgical tubing from the hardware store that will fit over the point on the bottle cap.
1.Drain the oil from the final drive.
2.on the back side of the Axle on the final drive and just above the axle is a I believe it's 17MM plug. that's the filler plug, remove it. ** It is aluminum be carefully not to round the 17 MM head off.**
3. Cut the tip off the point on the gear oil cap and push the tubing on as far as it will go.
Put the other end in the filler hole., invert the bottle and raise it above the axle level, and squeeze. Fill till the oil starts to come out of the hole.
4. Be very care not to over tighten the plug. See ** above.
Hope this helps you out.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Wheel bearings, cushion drive/compensator, gear oil change.
The same information the Ron Robertson and I mentioned.
A good service manual is a plus and if you can get the Honda Factory Service Manual or even a Clymer it's a big help. The owners manual may/may not have the torque specs for the plugs. You can get the gear oil in synthetic GL5 Hypoid or petroleum GL4 Hypoid, the choice is up to you. Also check the swing arm fasteners.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Opt for the Honda manual if you have a choice, some inaccuracies in the jobber ones

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Give me the exact title since there are several "manuals". I have the Owners Manual but doesn't help.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Honda Goldwing GL-1500 Factory Service Manual for a 1998. You should be able to order one at the local Honda dealer and a good set of maintenance videos from Illustrated Powersports www.illustratedpowersports.com

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O.K. I ordered the basic and advanced DVD's. Being mechanical, it doesn't seem that I would need the manual also. What do you think. I know you have used the DVD's so do you think it will give enough info?

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I use the factory manual along with the DVD's,I read everything thoroughly and watch the procedure carefully. I double check any fluids and torque values listed in writing.
I normally work with two different books at any given time, one for the bike and the other from the trike kit manufacturer and sometimes that information changes and I must be careful.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Gold,

I have the dvds and service manual. I haven't yet reviewed the dvds but looked closely at the chapters or items they show. I think they will be helpful but they don't do everything.
The service manual is a great ref. tool for me in the shop. I can quickly locate the section and scan tear down info. I don't have a puter in the garage and if I did, my hands are dirty. I can also get the names of parts quickly if I need to go online or dealership to "fish' for parts. It also has a comprehensive section in back for all things electrical including troubleshooting diagnosis.

To me, the dvds are specific, the book is universal.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I got the DVD's, put them in my computer and the advanced will play but the basic will not play. Says it doesn't have a cd in or not formatted correctly. Anyone else have any problems or suggestions. I have Windows 7.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honda Goldwing GL-1500 Factory Service Manual for a 1998. You should be able to order one at the local Honda dealer and a good set of maintenance videos from Illustrated Powersports www.illustratedpowersports.com
trike lady, I got the DVD's and really like them. Still looking for the service manual for the '98.
Talked with local mech. about the rear rumble. He said that it is the tires. Anyone heard this one? I don't feel that they are cupped enough for me to accept that one.
The noise really doesn't begin until 65 mph and I have tested it on a "pull" and "coast" and it seems to quieten more on the "pull." Still feel that it may be the final gears...what say ye?

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Have laid on floor and watch the tire from the rear with the engine running and in gear to see if you can see any wobble in the tire.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
The local Honda dealer should be able to order the factory service manual for your bike, when I lived in Port Richey the Honda dealer had one for the GL1200 on the shelf. I know there is a website where you can order them.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...om=result&Style=helm&Sku=61MAM03AH&itemtype=N

When was the last time the gear oil was changed in the final drive?
With the bike on a jack, do you feel any play in the rear swing arm bearings?
If you do need a GL1500 final drive call the trike shops for a take off, it could be the previous owner didn't do maintenance and there could be a worn part in the final drive.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the update. I have checked the bearing slack in the rear wheel and find it to be rock solid. I do not see any whobble in the wheel/tire. The rear tire is slightly cupped and maybe it is the tire that is giving the noise. Before I change the final drive gear I am going to do a little more research/elimination.
I have checked the final drive oil and it is very clear and not burned.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Look for uneven wear on yhe tread segnents. These are caused by by applying throttle in a curve. Common situation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts