Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2006 GL 1800 that a friend hauled to his house for me. I mistakenly tied it down on the rear crash bars. One of them sheared the bolts. He wants to replace the bolts but I can't find the size and torque specs. I tried looking in the manual but don't even know what to call it. It's not crash bar, or guard. Anyone know?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
371 Posts
Tie down on the rear crash bars is only to hold the rear from moving from side to side our bouncing. They don't have to be so tight as to break bolts. The front end is what holds the bike. I've been riding Goldwings for 40 years and worked at a dealer and we had to go out and pick up bikes all the time. We would put the bike on a trailer and tied it down on the left side at the triple tree with the bike on its side stand. Then we would tie the right side down tight enough to make the bike level. This would compress the forks and the springs would provide the pressure to hold the bike in place. Then we just tied the rear to keep the rear end from bouncing. We never had a failure in towing any bike in this way to include heavy cruisers and tourers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know. I have trailered Goldwings across country many times and never had a problem. I use the same method you describe, except apparently too enthusiastic on the rear straps. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts