Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm trying to help my dad restore his '77 GL1000. Let me start by saying he loves this bike, he bought it new in 1977, and it was the first new vehicle he bought on his own out of college, so it means a lot to him. Well, over the last several years the rear brakes have, well... stopped working.

In the past, we could pump the rear brakes, and they'd start to work. But now they don't do anything.

To avoid this problem again later down the road, I was thinking about using a master cylinder from another bike. So, I've come here for suggestions...

Thanks for the help getting this classic back on the road

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
First, welcome to the site cb919 (I gather you ride a 919...what year pray tell?). Nice of you to help your dad with the re-build, good luck to both of you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome, I've check with Bikebandit, and a couple other sites, and most the rear brake parts are discontinued. I'm sure we'll figure it out. And Yes, I do ride a 919. I have a lot of found memories of riding on the old GL1000... Rode on it from Ft Polk to chattanooga when my mom was 7th month with me... But thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a problem with the rear brakes on my gl1100, and it proved to be the flex hose on the caliper was pluged solid from contaminated fluid. reaming it out fixed the problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a problem with the rear brakes on my gl1100, and it proved to be the flex hose on the caliper was pluged solid from contaminated fluid. reaming it out fixed the problem.
Thanks for the suggestion I think we're going to do what we can to carefully take the system apart, clean the snot out of it, and put it back together since a lot of the parts are discontinued. I was think about trying to fit something like a st1300, or 919 master cylinder to the bike for a more modern design, but able to hide it so it doesn't look to "updated"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts