Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i press my rear brake pedal , it goes down pretty far , but when i press the pedal again it doesn't go down as far . Do i need to bleed the rear brakes . Its like i have air in the lines ....idk.....your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Edgar

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes I would bleed the rear brakes first and if the problem persists I would look at replacing or rebuilding the rear master cylinder. Make sure to follow the bleed procedure Honda recommends .

·
Super Moderator
14,342 Posts
I agree with Barry.

Reactions: Fla wing

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
If it is on a GL1800, has the rear brake recall been done? If not, schedule an appointment to get it done ASAP. Problem solved. The recall is free.

Reactions: 823Jim

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
generally speaking............. air in the lines...... usually causes a squishy pedal, kind of like stepping on a rubber ball

if the pedal is nice and firm........... even on the first hit, just goes down far......... that is usually that the pads are retracting from the rotors enough that it takes the two pumps to force all the pads out for contact.......... the master cylinder is small compared to all the pistons that is trying to move. tends to get worse as pads wear

so........... air ...... bleeding helps....................... the second one................ have to get used to it, my wing is as you described......... bleeding firmed up the pedal....... but press release press and have a higher pedal
I guess it helps with fuel economy........... less friction

Reactions: Fla wing

·
Registered
86 Posts
i know on the gl1500, the rear brakes also use one front brakes......so needs to be bled up front , and pads checked as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts