Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this for my dad but he has a 1982 GL1100I with 46,000 miles. His rear brake caliper recently locked up and caught fire. He found a used one at a motorcycle salvage yard and installed it with brand new brake lines. He couldn't get it to bleed so I bought him a rebuild kit for the rear master cylinder for Fathers day. After having installed that we still can't get it to bleed. I even hooked up my mityvac to the bleeder nipple on the rear caliper and it's not sucking any fluid through, just a few drops will spatter into the line. What could we be doing wrong? There's no pressure at all when you pump the brake lever. He's messed with this for the past 3 nights after work and even took the master cylinder apart again and made sure everything was how it should be and still nothing. Thank you for any suggestions or advice.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Make sure the bleeder screw is clean. They sometimes have a bug make a nest in them along with other crud.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Inside the master cylinder there is a very tiny hole to allow back pressure to release the pads. I have only read about it,but, I need to rebuild 3 of my own. This hole is VERY small & easy to miss. If it's plugged up the pressure won't let the brakes return after the peddle/lever is released.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I read about that already and told him to take it back apart and clean it and he did but he said it just felt like a little indent so maybe it's really plugged. Also the caliper has been cleaned up and looks brand new so the bleeder screw is clean and free of any obstructions. I'm getting a new rear tire for my CBR today and he'll probably wanna ride with me after I install it so I'll update this later if he makes any progress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the double post but turns out that little hole was sealed completely shut. My dad drilled it out and I put the master cylinder back together for him and reinstalled it. We bled the brakes and everything works fine and dandy now. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Sorry for the double post but turns out that little hole was sealed completely shut. My dad drilled it out and I put the master cylinder back together for him and reinstalled it. We bled the brakes and everything works fine and dandy now. Thanks again.

Well that explains why the caliper locked up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts