Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 2 months ago I had my master cylinder rebuilt on my 95 GL 1500. Shortly after getting the bike back the rear brake felt a little soft so I took back to the mechanic who rebuilt it and checked the rear brake reservoir and it was low. He topped it off with brake fluid and told me to bring it back if it got low again. Several weeks ago I checked and it was back to low again and topped it off with Dot 4. This weekend I checked and it's back to low again. I called the mechanic and he acted like he didn't want to bother with it. He said his lifts were full, check back in a week.

I see no visible sign of leakage however can't see much with all the tupperware in the way. I asked the mechanic if he bled the front brakes when he did the master cylinder rebuild since it has a linked braking system. He said he did. Is this problem common on the 1500? I'm soon to have the timing belts replaced by a different shop and thought about having them check it out.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Dan,
One of the things that was wrong with my 95 SE when I got it was the brake pedal went down way to far when I pressed it so that was one the things that the shop checked out.....I was told that when the Wings are left sitting that the line bleeds back??? Making the brake pedal spongy feeling. They replaced all 3 sets of brake pads on mine and bled the brakes.....the pedal is much better now but still feels a little spongy to me anyway, but I noticed that when the bike is on the side stand leaning away from the rear brake reservior the level looks low but I think it is only because it is not on the center stand......are you looking at the reservior when it is on the center stand or the side stand?

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bevman, good question about side or center stand for checking brake fluid level. I've done both. The amount of brake fluid I'm having to add is very little and and only every couple of weeks. I ride the bike at least several times a week so it doesn't sit.

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
Dan how does the foot brake feel ??
You can try the ol Red Neck brake bleed and see if it helps. You'll need a gallon jug of water and a short rope. Loop the rope through the jug handle and tie a loop in it so when you hang it off the foot brake it doesn't touch the floor by at least a couple of inches. Now top off the reservoir, pump up the brake ,hold it and hang the jug from the peddle, let set over night. Believe it or not this will bleed of and Air in the system.
Then keep an eye on it and see if you are still losing fluid.
Just something to try.

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Good idea Ron, that's similar to the clutch/brake lever tie it squeezed overnight bleed trick;)

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
Good idea Ron, that's similar to the clutch/brake lever tie it squeezed overnight bleed trick;)
Pretty much the same, just a tad more technical,:rolleyes: Having to tie the rope or line and hang the jug of water. Actually a large Tie rap would work also. Don't want to go getting all technical on you.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
if its not leaking at the reservoir or the front brake you'll need to check the rear brake to see if the problem is there

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'll try this method Ron and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ron for the tip. BTW, if I use a gallon of milk, how will I prevent it from spoiling?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts