Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not got any notice about the brake recall,but today it locked up on me after 8000 miles. I am new to the bike but did notice that the rear brake pedal seemed to have to much travel in it before the brake would apply. How ever if you pumped the pedel acouple times the pedal would come up to where I think it should be. Is this brake pedal travel normal for a 06 goldwing ,or is it a prewarning of this rear brake locking issue ? Anyone else notice this behavour?

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
i don't know if there is a recall for your back brakes but it does sound like the fluid might be low or pads worn and need replacement

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
i don't know if there is a recall for your back brakes but it does sound like the fluid might be low or pads worn and need replacement
Linked brakes, Doc. Trouble up front can result in trouble in the rear. He needs to take it in for the recall, notification or not. If I remember correctly?????? he has the symptoms that forced the recall.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The recall is for defective secondary master cylinders which:
1. Are mounted on the front fork.
2. Do indeed actuate the rear brake.
3. Will cause the rear brake to drag and eventually "lock up".
Don't know why the OP has not re'v'd the recall notice but, all years, all models of the 1800 are covered in this recall, with the exception of 2012's built after a certain date.

·
Registered
344 Posts
99% sure your bike is on recall. If you bought it used might explain why you didn't get a letter. Take it in, they will go by the serial #.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
All 1800's are on the reacll. You don't need a notice, just take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was interested in knowing of anyone who had the repair done if they had noticed adifference in the brake pedel stroke?

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
There are a couple members that I think did require the fix upon inspection. We've had none so far, and I haven't had mine out of the garage yet:eek: but mine appears fine visually. Joe's right, virtually every 1800 is affected from '01 -'10. Not sure about the '12's

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
I was interested in knowing of anyone who had the repair done if they had noticed a difference in the brake pedal stroke?
Stop dancing around the issue. You owe it to us and yourself to get the recall done. You have a rear brake problem whether it's related to the recall or not so get both resolved at the same time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stop dancing around the issue. You owe it to us and yourself to get the recall done. You have a rear brake problem whether it's related to the recall or not so get both resolved at the same time.
I am sorry but I dont think I owe you anything,and I made an appiontment the minute I got home. All I was interested in was if someone that had the brake repair done, had the same brake PEDEL issue as I had.

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
I am sorry but I dont think I owe you anything,and I made an appiontment the minute I got home. All I was interested in was if someone that had the brake repair done, had the same brake PEDEL issue as I had.
It's all good, longtrack. If you had mentioned that you " were " taking the bike in for the recall , I would not have made it an obligation issue. I was working on the assumption that if you took the bike in for the brake recall they would not release it back to you with a mushy pedal.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I posted way back when that after my 07 was inspected, and passed, that the rear brake felt different. It Was and Is not as responsive as before. It kind of felt mushy and since I had driven the bike in and 1 hour later drove it out, I knew there was a difference. I took it back and the dealer said everything was OK. So, I have been driving it and adjusting how I brake and now I guess it feels normal. But it did take a little getting used to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
l
Longtrack, my 2010 failed the inspection and the MC was replaced.
In answer to your question, yes I do think the brake lever has more travel before the brakes bite than previously- not sure why.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.