Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced OEM tires at 8000 miles on my 2010 Goldwing due to severe rear tire cupping on drivers side with Avon Cobras. I watch tire pressures closely running rear tire at 42 which is what Avon said for this application. At just under 4000 miles I'm starting to feel cupping on drivers side. Is this normal on this bike? This never happens on my Venture. Any thoughts.

·
Banned
3,114 Posts
due to severe rear tire cupping on drivers side with Avon Cobras....... I'm starting to feel cupping on drivers side. Is this normal on this bike? This never happens on my Venture. Any thoughts.
I have never experienced cupping on any bike I have ever owned except this most recent experience on a used Silverwing that when purchased the rear tire was cupping badly and still had some good tread left. I couldn't stand the vibration being caused by it, so I took it to a tire guy for him to install a new tire.

My tire guy has some motorcycle track racing experience and his opinion on cupped tires on one side is caused by the rider having a habit of braking in the corners. Premature wear on one side of the tire starts and then normal wear continues to eat on the tire causing the tire to wear bad.

As far as I can tell from my own experience, it could very well be true.... as I have never had this happen on any bike of my own, because I ride slow enough to read the mail boxes and on most occasions, I coast to slow down before a curve. My tires have always worn out in the middle of the tire, until I put on a car tire.

(Most forum members were waiting for that mention.) :)

Others with a some good explanation will probably pop in here and have a real answer, but this is what I was told.

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
There is some slight cupping on my front tire, but it's equal on both sides. Thats with almost 12k miles now so I don't consider that too bad. Uneven cupping has been mentioned before and some have said that its caused by the dishing of road surfaces and where you may ride in the lane. I don't know what the answer really is.

·
Registered
774 Posts
You may want to increase or decrease tire pressure slightly from recommended pressure. IMO that's only a starting point and the average pressures needed to support the weight of the testers. Some of us have had more ice cream than the others. Just do not go over the max. pressure rating with a cold tire. I've been running a few more psi in my Avon
Venoms on the 1500 have not seen any more cupping. Right now I'm running 45 psi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts