Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! First time post here, and I have a 1983 1100 and she’s in great shape! The only thing is I was riding with the girlfriend and we’d ridden over a massive pothole. Turns out it blew my rear suspension and I’m just wondering what you all think moving forward. I’m also unfortunately about to go on a 1600km trip Friday, so this is super bad timing. Hoping it’s just the seal!

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

We have several members familiar with the vintage machines. One of them should be along shortly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I had an '83 1100 Aspencade some years back, but never had any issues with the rear suspension. It's been a while, so my memory is foggy, but if I recall right there was one air bag down low, just ahead of the rear wheel. I cannot remember for certain if it was part of the shock absorber or not, but I believe it was. If that is the case, and the air bag actually blew, you might have little choice other than to replace it. Best place to start would be to try and pump it up and see where it is leaking air.

·
Registered
63 Posts
An 83 wing has 2 air shocks on the back. Like the other guy said try air them up and look for leaks. I have had them wear out but I haven't seen one blow the air part of the shock

·
Registered
23 Posts
The air shocks failed on my 1985 GL1200 and I bought a pair of non-air aftermarket shocks so I could get up and running quickly. They were @ $200.00 from Motorcycle Parts Outlent in Cincinnati. Ride is slightly less comfortable but handling is a bit crisper than the 37 year old shocks that came off. I am 280 and shocks handle my weight just fine on the lowest preload setting. Two up and loaded up does not require any adjustment, thankfully.

I did find that I had to unbolt both shocks in order to get either one out and back in, saddlebags had to be removed as well as the trailer hitch (which I just left off for now).

Progressive has air units that would be around $850 or $900 for a pair for the 1200 but they are hard to find. I assume if you could find them for yours pricing would be comparable.

Motorcycle Parts Outlet Inc is a link to the supplier.

I live nearby so I picked them up, shipping would be additional.

I intend to rebuild the air shocks at some point and figure that $200 to keep riding while I source the rebuild parts and get the original shocks done is well worth it.

Hope this helps.

Dave / Believer45

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. One of the best things that I have done to my 1200 Goldwing was to fit Progressive Shocks to the 1200. I just wish that I have done it sooner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.