Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had read a thread about checking the rear air pressure light (mine won't go out). Shocks hold pressure fine but light is on saying they are low. Can anyone help? I thought it was about checking two spots? (1981 GL1100I)
Also, just venting but when you sell used bike, as many of us can't buy new or nearly new, please be honest. After all, the chance of injury on a bike if something goes wrong is pretty high. Bought a bike, guy seemed honest, little stuff was wrong but I relied on a fellow biker to give the truth. I certainly kick myself for being so naive, but I guess I thought someone wouldn't that to someone. Anyway, 6 weeks later and one surprise after another, I think the end, mechanically anyway, is in sight. At least I hope the light isn't a train.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Cant' help with your light problem since I've never owned a GL1100, but I can give you some advice about buying a used bike... "BUYER BEWARE", especially if you are not mechanical and able to spot problems on your own. That said, I agree with you. People need to be honest with a new buyer because there is a much bigger potential for injury or worse when riding on two wheels. I'm not super mechanical so if I were to buy a used bike, I would insist it be checked out by a reputable dealer. It may cost $50 - $100 bucks but in the long run it might not be a bad investment. At the least you can always ask the opinion of other board members. There may be one near you that could go and look at the bike with you. (we love to go for rides) Also, you can tell a lot about how a bike was maintained by its apperance. Ask the seller for any maint records or logs he may have. Many of us keep detailed records of what is done to our bikes and when.

Hope you get the problems fixed on your bike and get out on the road soon. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been riding 40+ years and I do all my own work on my bikes, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable. Last year I bought an 82 Honda 900F-SS it had some serious problems with the rear wheel hub,[ life threatening] but there was no way of knowing this without taking the bike apart, some times you never know.

RIDE-SAFE

JIM

·
Registered
835 Posts
When I picked up my 82 there was next to zero air in the rear shock. Once I pumped some air into it (use a hand pump, not the one at gas stations, they take a minimal amount of pressure), the light went out.
Didn't have any problems after that.
There was only one valve, not two. Possibly a faulty sensor, don't know.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Strat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts