Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I think I have decided on the Sena 20S-EVO. All I need is to chat with husband on his bike, answer my phone, stream music and hear GPS. I'm not interested in connecting with a large group because there is no large group. Will more than likely only be the two of us. Any pros or cons to this unit?

Are there channels on these units? It's one thing I haven't been able to figure out. Surely not everyone will be on the same frequency/channel ??? not even sure if it is frequency. How would our conversation be just the two of us?

Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
The headsets talk to each other using Bluetooth. They only talk to another Bluetooth device that has been paired. They share a secret password. If you have a Bluetooth radio in your car and a friend jumps in for a ride, their phone doesn't just start coming through your speakers. Same thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The headsets talk to each other using Bluetooth. They only talk to another Bluetooth device that has been paired. They share a secret password. If you have a Bluetooth radio in your car and a friend jumps in for a ride, their phone doesn't just start coming through your speakers. Same thing.
Lol. After I asked that question, the lights started coming on in my brain and now I feel like a dummy. Thanks for your input. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda GL1800, 1985 BMW R80RT
35 Posts
My wife and I own these headsets. They work very well for our communication while riding. Also very good for phone. They charge quickly and battery life far exceeds any ride we have taken. Have used them for 8+ hours without issue.

The speaker quality is inadequate for music. They are supposed to be releasing new HD (high definition:LOL:) speakers soon. You may want to wait until those are available if you intend to use them for music.

Generally, we are quite happy with them. They will be much better when the speakers aren’t limiting the sound quality.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might want to try the Cardo PackTalk Bold. I have two of them and they work great. Good sounding audio and easy setup. Battery lasts forever too, well almost!:)

Whichever you chose you can't go wrong.
Thanks, I will take a look.
My wife and I own these headsets. They work very well for our communication while riding. Also very good for phone. They charge quickly and battery life far exceeds any ride we have taken. Have used them for 8+ hours without issue.

The speaker quality is inadequate for music. They are supposed to be releasing new HD (high definition:LOL:) speakers soon. You may want to wait until those are available if you intend to use them for music.

Generally, we are quite happy with them. They will be much better when the speakers aren’t limiting the sound quality.
Thank you, although I don't like hearing the speakers are not that good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will take a look.

Thank you, although I don't like hearing the speakers are not that good.
Well I was trying to decide on the 50S or the 20S EVO, your comment on the HD speakers made me take a second look. They come standard on the 50S. I just clicked "buy". Should arrive by Friday. :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Well I was trying to decide on the 50S or the 20S EVO, your comment on the HD speakers made me take a second look. They come standard on the 50S. I just clicked "buy". Should arrive by Friday. :D:D:D
Look forward to your review!

·
Registered
2001 Goldwing
10 Posts
I have a 20S-EVO and am satisfied with it. I have it teamed up with the SM10 and a J&M mp3 player on my 2001. It's great to be able to listen to my mp3, control them with the bike controls, listen to the radio, talk to my riding buddy talk to my passenger and make and receive phone calls - all without being tethered to the bike. I find the speakers to be good although I have been thinking of the HD speakers as a Christmas gift. There are a lot of options available with this unit, I most likely will never utilize the majority of them. I know the OP already bought one but SENA has a refurbished section where you can save some money, mine was refurbished and you can't tell at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using 20s for quite a while for my wife and I, intercom, phone and music. They do take some time to figure out all the possible adjustments, etc. I upgraded the speakers in both helmets, pretty necessary.
I also found that the batteries in both units eventually went "bad". They would work but only for an hour or so. (You can charge them on the bike while they are in use) I had them replaced a couple of times, something that Sena does not advise but can be done; then eventually had my friend make an external battery pack that can be easily changed if the battery goes bad. It attaches to the helmet right behind the unit.
Batteries can be bought online through hobby vendors, they are the same as in some drones.
Since I've done all those adjustments I've had no problems and they work flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I just ordered the HD speakers. Should receive them next week. Will report the before and after review once they are installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, I think I have decided on the Sena 20S-EVO. All I need is to chat with husband on his bike, answer my phone, stream music and hear GPS. I'm not interested in connecting with a large group because there is no large group. Will more than likely only be the two of us. Any pros or cons to this unit?

Are there channels on these units? It's one thing I haven't been able to figure out. Surely not everyone will be on the same frequency/channel ??? not even sure if it is frequency. How would our conversation be just the two of us?

Thanks
I have these units and they work wonderfully, great battery life and I did just upgrade to the HD speakers, ($40 on amazon) and they make a bid difference in clarity of sound and volume, very pleased with them. When I am on the phone the call quality is unmatched, no one can believe I am riding when we are talking

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just took our first ride with the headsets. At slow speeds they sound wonderful and they sound pretty good at high speed also. However, husband said he kept hearing a tap tap tap at high speed, had something to do with the wind. And at higher speed I heard what sounded like constant static. Very annoying. Maybe we should re-pair them? Other than that we just need to learn how the darn things work. Can't seem to get the voice commands to pay any attention to us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts