Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few weeks back about a 1200 Interstate that was available to me from a friend who bought it new. Bike is stock. No add ons what so ever. It has 25000 miles on it. Tires are good...not checked...never down....a little surface rust on shocks and bars....very minor. He wants me to have the bike. He put a price on bike of $2500 as is, or $3000 if he takes it to Honda shop and have it serviced. His son, who is a friend also...Valkrie owner.....was last one to put any miles on bike a few years back. He says bike ran perfect. I can service bike myself...would perfer to...so I am thinking of taking bike as is. I am aware of stator issues with this model. Thinking of taking my chances. Plan on riding Goldwing no more than 3000 miles a year, at most, for now. I feel this is a VERY good buy on bike. I am trying to convince my wife of that. Any thoughts from 1200 owners, or any owners for that matter? I do appreciate all of your replys, and enjoy the forum. I am just a very cautious buyer in todays economy, and I already have a 1996 1100 Shadow with 9000 miles on it. I LIKE older, low mile bikes. Thanks ahead for replys

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
1200 wings despite the stator are still good dependable bikes. and one question i always ask is " how long should a stator last?" the stator is nearing 30 years old. only 3000 miles a year? i / we usually put close to 5000 miles a year on the 1200 wing. i have had my 1200 wing since '07. the po put new brakes and a new stator on before i got it and the only thing i have done are oil changes and tuneups. i'm headed to my moms to pick it up in about an hour

·
Registered
62 Posts
1500.00 to 1750.00 is a VERY good buy on bike. 2500.00 is to high!

I base that on looking around before I got my one owner GL1100 with only 33,000 miles on it for 1500.00 with two matching helmets

You will have to put timing belts on it at the very least!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Respectfully disagree with volwings. I could sell that bike in my area for $3000 in about 2 days...

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
i could sell mine in my area for $2500 - $3000

·
Administrator
26,212 Posts
Value is in the beholder really. If the bike sings your song, do it. My dealer book only goes back to '86 and $2500 looks a bit high, but it depends on what the bike needs immediately as to whether it's way out of scope or not. Like detdrbuzzard says timing belts likely, fork seals, rubber hoses. Don't let the look of the tires fool you either, they can 'look' fine and be weak in the carcass, rubber compounds can be brittle with age.

·
Super Moderator
11,893 Posts
How many years has it been sitting? With the fuel we get now, anything sitting over four years could have a lot of rust in the fuel system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Whatever the bike is worth to you is important, but if it is one owner I wouldn't worry about paying a little more. Sitting in storage is the worst thing that can happen to a GW. I paid 1800 for mine and then had all the fluids changed out--carbs rebuilt/synced, new tires, new battery. My 84 did not sit very much--it has over 100,000 with the odometer stuck at 98,000. I've ended up with about 3000. total(including purchase price) invested--but it runs great and does not burn oil while getting around 45-50mpg. My paint and finished isn't the greatest but I will probably get it painted later. Now for the funny part---my old 84 Aspencade will outrun my buddy's 2007 Ultra-Classic with the 96 cubic in motor and 6 speed trans! It's a pretty bike but at 17,000 bucks it's a bit slow, and he has to pay for "valve adjustments" periodically-- the Honda has self-adjusting valves, this little fact pisses off some HD riders. LOL

·
Premium Member
11,026 Posts
Different country, different situation. Good old bikes here bring big money. A couple of weeks ago a 1100 wing sold here for $8000. I payed $5000 for my 1200 wing and will spend $2500 getting it where I want it. New battery, tires, timing belts, starter, stator,mirors, recromed forks. I am looking forward to putting a lot of miles on this bike. Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts