Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RayJ invited me to go along with him on a portion of his US Perimeter Ride. (He is riding around the border of the US a little at a time.) This portion would be a Caddiwomple - look it up.

Last Wednesday (Novermeber 10, 2021) I left out mid-morning to start a trip with RayJ to Texas. I rode up to Gluckstadt, where I used to live, for a supply stop at my favorite beer store. I met a couple of buddies there for a chat and bought them beers and also picked up something different for Ray to try. I rode some of the Natchez Trace from there to near Carthage to Ray’s for the night. A 202 mile day on the bike.

Thursday, we started the ride to Texas, all on the go-fast roads so as to get to the Austin area early enough for Ray to get his inspection sticker for the year. So, it was up and on the road as it got light enough to see. We headed around the Jackson area on the Natchez Trace and then I-20 west into Texas. We jumped off the interstate at Tyler and then down Hwy 31 to Waco. Then I-35 south to Georgetown. We were trying to get there by 4:30 and squeaked in just under the wire. We stayed the night at friends of Ray's. A good pizza restaurant and some adult beverages rounded out the longer day on the bikes as it was a 596 mile day.

The first two days apparently weren't picture worthy as I didn't get any. But here is the map;

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Friday was an easy day wandering around the hill country. Ray had plans to show me some great roads and we started right into it. We rode west on Hwy 29 to Liberty Hill. Here is a map of our day and I highly recommend any of this.

I think Texas has some of the greatest looking County Courthouses. Here is the Llano County Courthouse in Llano.
Sky Car Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

The highlights were a stop at Enchanted Rock. Unfortunately, the state park was closed for a hunt so we couldn’t climb the rock. In Fredericksburg we took a short stop to stretch our legs.
Tire Sky Plant Wheel Vehicle

We made a mandatory stop in Luckenbach. I had never been there before and we had to recreate a picture Ray’s wife took many years ago. We hung around looking for Willie, but he didn’t show.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

At Blanco, Ray dragged me along for a stop at Real Ale Brewing Company. Of course, we couldn’t pass up that without sampling their best ales. He did have to twist my arm to try one.
Floor Industry Automotive design Mass production Engineering

On FM 32 is a road named the Devil’s Backbone, supposed to be the most haunted road in Texas. We didn’t see anything unusual, just some good curves in the road.
Plant Sky Natural landscape Land lot Grass

Into Bandera for the evening. The day was spent riding in every cardinal direction and wandering all around the hill country. A great day on the road and filled it up traveling 266 miles.

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Saturday, we headed for the Three Twisted Sisters roads, here is that map;

Ray took a few detours off the main roads. One of them included a river crossing of the Rio Frio. Not on a bridge. When we came around the corner and there was water crossing the road, I did hold back to watch him cross first. He didn’t have any trouble so I waded in. I believe he thought my wheels were dirty and needed a good cleaning. Only a 237 mile day, but we filled it up on some great curves.
Post Office in Medina, Texas.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

Bandera County Courthouse.
Sky Plant Cloud Building Tree

We ended the evening at Arky Blues Silver Dollar bar. A good Texas honky tonk.
Billiard table Pool Property Furniture Billiard room

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sunday, we headed out early from Bandera over to Del Rio to get back to the border for Ray’s Perimeter Ride. Some of the back roads first thing were FM 470 to Utopia and then FM 1050 to US 83 and south to Uvalde. We stopped at Uvalde for breakfast. A ride west on US 90 took us to Del Rio, south on US 277 got us to Eagle Pass. We used a back road, FM 1021 to El Indio. You can continue to Laredo on this road, but the pavement ends and it doesn’t just turn to gravel, but is a dirt road for a while. So, we turned east on FM 2644 to Carrizo Springs and US 277. We rode on into Laredo for the day. I had an old co-worker who switched from Wildland Firefighter to Border Patrol Agent five years ago. Dan and his wife Christi, showed us some of the interesting places his job takes him.
The Railroad bridge from Laredo into Mexico. That is the Rio Grande and Mexico across the river.
Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

An interesting spot Dan showed us. The river here is a mile away, but there is a survey marker by Ray's feet that shows the border between the US and Mexico.
Sky Fence Gesture Wood Shorts

He didn't know the story, but surveyors are never wrong? There was an area on the other side of the fence that dipped down and could have been the river a long time ago. Who knows?
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Font

A 315 mile day, I had never seen so many State Police while riding. There were 12 on the 70 mile stretch between Uvalde and Del Rio. Then there were more as we drove along the Rio Grande.

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Monday, we continued down the Rio Grande to Padre Island and the Gulf of Mexico. Along US 281 is the historic site of the battle at Rancho de Carricitos. Near this site, on a ranch in a cleared area surrounded by brush, on April 26, 1846 some US dragoons were scouting for the Mexican Army which had been reported to have crossed the (disputed) border. Unfortunately, the Mexican Army found them. They were trapped, many were killed, and the remainder captured. This event led to the US declaring war with Mexico and the Mexican-American War was on.
Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Plant

We looked for a small Mexican restaurant to eat lunch. We stopped at Dora's in Brownsville and scored big time. Great lunch.
Food Tableware Plate Ingredient Table

Next stop was the most southern point you can ride in Texas. You can see the border wall behind Ray. This spot is only 27.65 miles north of the southern most point that is in Key West.
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

Just around the corner we rode along the wall. They had gates for the farmers to get to their fields as the river was a mile away. Leaving the gate open means you never know who will get across.
Cloud Sky Plant Gesture Land lot

Heading east from there along the river is the location of the battle of Palmito Ranch. Near here on May 12 and 13, 1865 the last battle of the Civil War took place.
Tire Sky Plant Cloud Vehicle

We also stopped at the Lighthouse at Port Isabel. This was built in 1852.
Lighthouse Sky Plant Building Tower

The last stop before the hotel was the Padre Island Brewing Company. Much to my chagrin, they were closed.
Plant Sky Property Building Window

We made it to the motel and traveled 267 miles. A short walk up the road took us to an Irish Pub for dinner and adult beverages. A friend of Rays rode down on his Spider for dinner and a visit.

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Tuesday, we headed out for a ride along the Gulf. Up through Kingsville and then cutting across FM 70 to Chapman Ranch. A stop at the Post Office to show the route.
Cloud Sky Vehicle Automotive tire Window

North on 286 and east on 358 took us across the bridge to Mustang Island. We turned up 361 along the island to Port Aransas and lunch on the Bay.
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Blue

After lunch we crossed on the ferry over to continue on 361 to the mainland.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

TX 35 took us to FM 185 and into Port O’Conner for the evening. Another short day of 267 miles, but we didn’t beat the sunset by much.

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wednesday, we left out early to finish the ride along the Gulf and into Louisiana. Here’s the map;

The beach at Galviston.
Cloud Tire Water Land vehicle Sky

Ferry ride across to Port Bolivar.
Sky Smile Boat Travel Watercraft

Car Wheel Land vehicle Water Vehicle

Stop at Sabine Pass before heading into Louisiana.
Sky Cloud Water Vehicle Automotive tire

A mandatory stop, the fire station at Johnson Bayou, LA.
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

Another ferry crossing at Cameron.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud

What are the odds of a bee hitting the vent in your helmet just right to make it all the way to your head, and then still be alive enough (but certainly much disgruntled) to sting you? I have to report they aren’t zero. We ended up in Broussard for the evening and ended the day having travelled 412 miles. We had planned a visit to Parish Brewing Company, but they closed early during the week. We settled for an Uber ride to a good place for dinner that Ray knew of. They had Parish Beer on tap helped heal the sore head, so it wasn’t a total loss.

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thursday, we left out for our last day of riding. There was rain predicted to catch us sometime during the day so Ray was going to take the Go-Fast roads to get home. This would have taken us through Baton Rouge, which I never recommend especially during rush hours. Instead, we headed north to Opelousas and then east to cross the Mississippi River at St. Francisville. I have crossed the big river in every place south of St. Louis. But the last time I crossed there it was a ferry ride. Since then, they have built a bridge and this gave me a reason to cross here and also avoid traffic at Baton Rouge. West on US 190 took us to Lottie, where we took LA 88 and 77 up to Morganza. Then LA 10 east to the bridge.
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle

On the east side of the river, we took 965 toward Jackson, LA and back to LA 10. Eastbound we split up at I-55. Ray headed north and I continued east to home. This is a straight shot for me though Bogalousa, LA and Poplarville, MS to Wiggins.

I hope that I remembered all this ride, but if I forgot something I’m sure RayJ will chime in. It was a great ride and I appreciate him dragging me along. A number of days were CAT ride category, but they were all filled to capacity with great roads. My bike covered 2832 miles and I added 12 Counties that I had never visited before. (I’m up to 69.9% of the Counties in the US visited.)

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
What an adventure to pack into a single week. Thanks for taking us along with your photos and descriptions. I have been to some of those places along the Rio Grande but unfortunately not on a motorcycle, but to teach classes to the local EMAs. I do want to go back (in cooler weather) on my Wing.

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What an adventure to pack into a single week. Thanks for taking us along with your photos and descriptions. I have been to some of those places along the Rio Grande but unfortunately not on a motorcycle, but to teach classes to the local EMAs. I do want to go back (in cooler weather) on my Wing.
I would say April or May would be a good months for you. It should be warm enough at your place to get out and not too hot when you get there. Earlier the better. Right now is perfect, but I noticed snow up your way while we were riding.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Thanks for taking us along Mark. Always enjoyable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow great pics and story crownfire, thanks! I can't believe we didn't see each other out in the hill country that weekend. I was riding those roads the same weekend you were as well as yesterday as well. I love it out there lol! Thanks for the pics and come back anytime and let's ride it again.

Jeff

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow great pics and story crownfire, thanks! I can't believe we didn't see each other out in the hill country that weekend. I was riding those roads the same weekend you were as well as yesterday as well. I love it out there lol! Thanks for the pics and come back anytime and let's ride it again.
Jeff
Thanks, we will be back. I'm sure there are a couple roads we missed. Besides, it's on the way to west Texas. I have a desire to go back to the Fort Davis and Big Bend area for a ride. Maybe next fall......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts