Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy i have a 1990wing 1500 at idle it rattles give it a little gas it goes away.any takers in whats wrong .thanks trike dude

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF. It might be something as simple as one of the heat shields on the exhaust. Sometimes when things like that are loose they will just rattle at low rpms.
A question have you actually listen closely to tell if it's internal or external?

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
hello trike dude, welcome to GWOF. have you had the carbs synced

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome along. A bit more info would be helpful though. "it isn't" er, what exactly? Maybe a quick listen with a stethascope would help?

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Does the sound change or lessen when you apply the brake or turn on the high beam?

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Does the rattle happen when the clutch is engaged or disengaged from the engine?

Also Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Don't have an answer, but interested in where Trike Lady is going...my 1500 had a very faint rattle never heard it under throttle, but at idle there was a change when the clutch lever was pulled in then released.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Don't have an answer, but interested in where Trike Lady is going...my 1500 had a very faint rattle never heard it under throttle, but at idle there was a change when the clutch lever was pulled in then released.:confused:
I've had in the past a number of GL1500 that had a strange rattle in the area of the clutch, pull the lever in with the bike/trike in neutral and the sound goes away, release the lever and the sound returns.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Is the sound coming from the back of the engine?
Ex: near the alternator.
Is the sound coming from the front of the engine?
Ex: timing belt tensioners
Is the sound coming from the center of the engine?
Ex: valves
Locating sounds can be as bad as intermittent electrical problems.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Are the timing belts original?
Change the timing belts.
Check the belt tensioner.

Last oil change?
Hydraulic tappets don't work well with low oil pressure and aren't happy when they don't get an oil change regularly.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
TD,

I'm confused. If the sound is coming from the front then you want to check the belts and tensioners first. $.10 says it's a loose/broken tensioner spring.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi and welcome plus one for checking the timing belts even if it is not the problem it is important to not have to guess the condition of these critical parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.