Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's winter so one should suspect the highways being littered with fire logs as the country boys haul their cords of wood into suburbia to warm the hearths of the central heated homes here. I would have had plenty of time so see the 18+ " log laying in the middle of my lane on I 66 if another driver in the left lane had not decided he wanted to get off the next exit to do some Christmas shopping at the mall. His quick lane change maneuver didn't cause me any issue, but he blocked my vision of the road log up ahead. Dead center in my lane after he passed over there it was, and at a cruising speed of 65+ mph it made a THUMP sound. I looked back to see if any plastic belly parts of mine were left in the road. All clear. Any oil streak ? No. It must have deflected off the front tire as my left foot felt like somebody hit it with a tire iron. I never stopped until I reached my destination. Needless to say, the trip was filled with wonderment about the underside of the bike. Inspection upon arrival showed nothing, nada, zilch. It was a good day.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Glad you were okay and uninjured. If you were layed up you would have nothing to do all day but post on the forum....... Oh yea, you do that already....LOL

Ride safe my friend....

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
good to know that you and the wing are not hurt. be careful

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
We'll attribute the no injuries no damage to your skillful riding.:rolleyes:

Good for you, Good for you. Glad there were no injuries or damage.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Glad everything is O.K. I had that happen to me a couple years back. I was behind another vehicle, they went over a piece of 2X4, once I saw it it was to late to do anything, I hit it with the front tire of the wing and thought the worst had happened, but like you, no harm was done.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Just missed one the other day. I thought about the horrors if I had hit it.:eek: Sure is reassuring that I may have survived.:)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good on ya Chop! It's not that cold around here now, but when the -30 and -40 hits, the logging trucks leave many tree ends in their wake. They were supposed to stop the use of the big long extension bunks for hauling and stick to the cradle B-trains, but that fell through so us cage drivers have to watch for the broken ends of aspens on the highways. Not bad in the daylight, but it's hellacious hard to see them suckers at night.:eek:
I remember reading many years ago the technique for riding over an object on your scoot (time being available of course). Try to seat yourself as far back on the bike as possible and just before contact goose the throttle to help lighten the front end and hop on over it. Never tried it myself, but former Rider magazine safety editor Stu Munro said it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Glad you escaped unscathed. Agreed, the best thing to do is to lighten you bike as much as possible by unloading the suspension and allowing it to soak up the offending object. We can bunny-hop or wheelie over objects on our dirtbikes (or lighter bikes), but with the Wing, you pretty much are committed to keep everything stable as possible until you are past it.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
see stay away from them country roads and visit me more often

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Glad you and the bike came through it without damage.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Well that was an adventure. Keep the yule fires burning.

Okay, I'm glad everythings ok.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
You're lucky it was a log and not a bushel of soybeans!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Hmmm, in our MC course, they taught us to make sure we had the balls of our feet square on the pegs and then raise our bodies up just off the seat. Then as the bike rode over the object, we flexed our legs to stay steady and let the bike ride over the object without our butts touching the seat. Then settle back down onto the seat. We never felt the jolt because our legs absorbed the impact. Worked for us.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
I only hope the S.O.B. wasn't delivering a load to your house so you could cuddle at my expense.
Propane gas maestro. Woods too much work.:D

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Had that happen a few years back going to Skyline Dr. it was at night and came across brush and small logs someone had lost plus had an semi right beside me. Got through it ok but it made the old butt hole pucker.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had that happen a few years back going to Skyline Dr. it was at night and came across brush and small logs someone had lost plus had an semi right beside me. Got through it ok but it made the old butt hole pucker.
It's that old familiar feeling, " I wonder if this is gonna hurt ? "

·
Registered
240 Posts
Glad all is well. The luck of the Irish was with ya.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts