Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Ram Brake/Clutch Reservior Base mount (B-309-1) for my 2021 Goldwing tour. The kit comes with the mount, 3 sets (2 each with different lengths and threads) of screws, 2 lock washers and 2 spacers. I found the metric screws to be too long such that when fully tightened about 3/16 of an inch gap remained with the clutch lever assembly and handle bar.
Has anyone else experienced this issue with a Ram Brake/Clutch mount?
I see many Goldwing with cup holders on the road so I'm guessing the Ram mounts work.
I also tried shorter screws that I purchased at the hardware store, however I was unable to tighten the screws sufficient so the clutch mount did not rotate when I twisted it a bit.
I emailed Ram support today for their help as well.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Did your mount come with spacers, the problem you describe is one that you will encounter if you do not use the included spacers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I used the spacers that came with the kit.
I purchased shorter 6mm screws (50mm vs 55mm in the kit) at my local hardware store.
Unfortunately when the screws were tight the clutch assembly was not secure and I was able to rotate the assembly if I applied a bit of torque to the assembly.
I'll look for some slightly shorter 6mm screws and see if that provides the desired result.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have used that Ram system on my 3rd bike now. If I can't find longer spacers I make my own like I finally did for the last 2 bikes. I found some 5/16th's ID plastic tubing and cut it to fit. Don't recall where I found the tubing, possibly a auto parts store. Anything similar will work for a spacer. Ace Hardware has chrome spacers of various sizes that would work also. Gets the holder out a bit farther so cup holder of gps mounts fit better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I guess I was surprised I would have to provide some fabrication. The illustration on the website is clearly a Harley handle bar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coincidentally, today I received my back-ordered RAM clutch brake mount via Amazon. It came inside an Amazon bubble wrap envelope but all the components were outside of the included clear factory labeled package. And there is only 1 bushing (spacer), rather than the 2 required. I am going to return all the RAM mount pieces I ordered, mainly because I think it is an overkill way of mounting a phone.
I just came back from Americade, which was a huge disappointment given the low attendance and small number of vendors, but did get some time with Kuryakyn. They have wa similar system using a much smaller ball and smaller mounting bracket. The rep said that some of the accessories won’t be available for a couple of months, but a much leaner and efficient system in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts