Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok to be honest i have never drove a bike in the rain until today , i always would just say screw that its raining and i'm not riding , well this morning i got up and it rained like 2 hrs before i left i looked at the radar and it said no rain , i left the house about 5 miles down the road the sky opened up on me and started to rain , i was like GRRRRRRR , but i pushed on took my time and i was fine , sun came out all day left work got on 95 north and the sky's opened up again all the way home lol , but to tell the truth i'm not afraid of driving in the rain no more

·
Registered
145 Posts
ok to be honest i have never drove a bike in the rain until today , i always would just say screw that its raining and i'm not riding , well this morning i got up and it rained like 2 hrs before i left i looked at the radar and it said no rain , i left the house about 5 miles down the road the sky opened up on me and started to rain , i was like GRRRRRRR , but i pushed on took my time and i was fine , sun came out all day left work got on 95 north and the sky's opened up again all the way home lol , but to tell the truth i'm not afraid of driving in the rain no more
Riding in the rain can be tiring and unnerving at times. I don't really cherish the task. However, I have been caught in torential down pours and have ridden for hundreds of miles in steady rain when on long trips. I have had to leave in the rain when it socked in and would not stop raining. Now I pull over if I can or I ride thru it if I can see some clearing skies ahead. This trip (we're traveling) I hit light rain in AL and drove out of it, hard rain and hail in CO but drove out of it, torrential blowing rain in ILL and had to pull over but only after about 20 miles until we found shelter. Its all part of the riding experience...........:)

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I don't like stopping when it is raining..... I get wet. My boots are water proof so they get wet but my socks don't.

I found this product to be interesting enough to order some. It should be here very soon. I will post information on it when I get a good test on it. We in Seattle, know about rain.

Windshield solution

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Gordo, Buy a rainsuit for each of you & your significant. Stick them in the side bag & ride if you need to. The rainsuits will also work as windbreakers on the chilly morning rides to keep you warm.

Like John, I am not a lover of the rain ride but I do it when I have to. As John said when you're on a slab & it's heavy, you're doing maybe 50 with your flashers going & the trucks are doing 75, Yeah that isn't fun at all.

Glad you're more confident & Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Rode in a torrential downpour coming home from Winchester, Va. a few weeks ago. The Wing did fine, the problem was visibility ( VFR ). The Wing doesn't mind getting wet and will hold the road with the usual precautions from the pilot.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
As long as I got the gear, don't mind rain at all. Don't want to tangle with the twisties in it though.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
see gordo it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I have to have a car tire!!!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I don't start out in the rain to go to work or if the threat is over 50%. I just don't have to do it much, so I don't .

If I am on a trip, well then ya take what ya get.

Like others, riding is ok but seeing is what bugs me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Usually I'll get to a motel and check the weather station, which will determine where I'm going the following day. One time I couldn't get the station and ended up riding in solid rain for 2 days, non stop.
I didn't wash my face for 2 days after that :)
Strat

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so any advise you guys have i will take , still a little nervous but i will ride in the rain if i have to (still don't like it)

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
My advice is don't try dropping the clutch in a curve....if was bad before, its definitely worse in the rain. That will get you a fishtail.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ENINREF where are the pictures of the bra?

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I've had to ride in the rain on occasion and have not had any problems. Everything from a misting to a downpour with flashers on. Take your time and if it gets too bad, pull over into a rest stop or somewhere safe.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
As long as I got the gear, don't mind rain at all. Don't want to tangle with the twisties in it though.:eek:
I can sympathize with that statement as verified by my recent trip through Cotapaxi CO to Buena Vista , CO. By the raging Arkansas River with no guard rails and raining like a cow whizzing on a flat rock. Man, what an experience.....For a while I though I was gonna die then I became afraid I wasn't....When its raining inside your helmet, its raining...:D

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
so any advise you guys have i will take , still a little nervous but i will ride in the rain if i have to (still don't like it)
everyone has their own style of driving, if you will. Taking a quote from a hall of fame coach, "perfect practise makes perfect". He is often misquoted.

I always brake, downshift and decelerate in a straight line whether in town makes slow 90 degree turns or sweeping turns in the rural country roads. I do it all the time and I do it before I enter the curve. If I guessed about right on speed, I maintain the speed, if too slow, acceleration is exciting. If I guessed wrong and still to fast, well at least I already have my speed down.

My point is, changing your style when it's raining isn't the time to start making gross changes. The time to adapt good habits is all the time.

However you ride, I suggest you keep your same habits but with less speed. I think trying to out guess what to do while riding in the ride would make one more anxious and distracted.

BTW, I don't often get compliments from the boss but she once told me how much she appreciated this style of driving. (if only she would adapt too) :)

Others will have good ideas, choose what fits you and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
My advice would be take it easy in the rain, but park it if there's lightning.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
We don't get much rain here but one thing I find is that riding in the rain at night in the built up areas is not good. You can hardly see the lanes, stop signs, the helmet visor get foggy [no, it's got nothing to do with being full of hot air] and makes it hard to see. Sometimes it can't be helped, you need to get home. Eric

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well Gordo, if ya can't ride in the rain, ya can't ride in Alberta:eek: My last trip I spent 13 hours in a deluge over two days. Good quality rainsuit is definitely required kit! If anybody has fogging issues with their visors in rain, there's a product called "Pinlock" that the Europeans have known about for ages, only been available to us in N/A for a couple years:mad: yeesh. Other than some vis and handling adjustments (ok good tires be they bike or 'gasp' car [can't believe I'm saying this] tires) rain is not really something to fear, just tollerated and dealt with accordingly. While rain will dampen the trip, it need not spoil it. Go get wet fer gawd sakes:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts