Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some GOOD advice on rain gear from someone who has put in long distance road trips. Is there anything out there that will actually keep you dry, or are these companies offering false hopes that their product works just to make a buck?

Who has done some major riding in the rain, and has been dry afterward?

Please offer your advice. :)

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Funny you should ask. I just spent 120 miles in heavy rain today in my " Frogg Toggs " rain wear. I was madder than a wet cat but dry as a dog's old bone where it mattered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helpful info, thanks. I have heard, and have been researching the Frogg Togg product. So, fill me in. Are you wearing a layer of regular cloths under the Frogg Toggs? And are you successful at keeping the rain from pouring down your neck? Also, what are you wearing over your boots/shoes?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Wife and I came out of Florida during a downpour last year. Drove over 100 miles wearing our Frogg Toggs over our cloths. Stayed dry and you don't sweat to death under them. We just wear our riding boots and they themselves are waterproof. They have a place in the right saddlebag all the time.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
When I ride I neither dress for success nor disaster. Tee shirt or sweatshirt, depending on the temperature, and my trusty Wal-Mart $ 40.00 Brahma work boots and jeans. I had the sweatshirt on today with the other apparel mentioned. Sure, my boots got a little wet, but that was it. This was my first time riding my wing for that length of time in continuous rain. I was very pleased and pleasantly surprised how well the 1800 channels water away. Of course I came off a VTX 1300 with nothing but a windshield. I bought the Frogg Toggs last year in an emergency situation while I was at a dealership. I paid about $ 55.00 for the set. I didn't shop around for quality or performance, I needed something for the 50 mile ride back home. I look at rain gear as a spare tire: If I don't have it, I'll need it. If I need it, it's only for a little while. I will say, however, that the performance of the material does what it is supposed to do, but the quality of the jacket zipper on the style I purchased doesn't seem too durable. I don't plan on it getting daily usage though. And that's a big 10-4 on what marcsvette said below about NOT sweating to death inside them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help and comments. It has helped me in making the choice that I originally was going to go with. Froggs Toggs are the choice I'm going to make for the wife and I.

Happy riding !

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
While Chopin wore his FroggToggs, I was wearing a set by First Gear. They were also very good in the wet. Ride safe...

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I've used Frogg Toggs for many years. I'm on my second set and under most conditions they have kept me dry. I've also be in some "belly washers" that even a duck could not keep dry. For my $$ they seem to be the best combination of weight, protection and storage space required. JMHO, to each his own because it's your $$. Ride safe and keep dry...

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I had Tour Master, didn't like it. It kept me dry in the rain but it also made me sweat. I'm going to get the Frogg Toggs, the ones I have a great if your are commercial fisherman. Frogg Toggs seems to be the choice of many.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for responding. Frogg Toggs will be the way I go for rain gear for the wife and I.
Now, I have two other questions. I wanted to install a front fender extention, but upon trying the remove the four allen head bolts that hold the fender on, one of the four was in so tight that I stripped out the allen head, and the allen wrench! Now what? Take it to the dealership I'm guessing to have them mess with it? what a pain in the butt.
Second question: If I have already made an attempt to buy a ground loop isolator for eliminating the "whine" sound through my Sirius Satellite Radio System but still have the "whine" sound along with bad distorted music, should I move on to another ground loop isolator? :)

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Frogg Toggs are excellent. These breath so well you will be cold riding thru most rain unless u have a sweater under them. Very dry!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another vote for Frogg Toggs. I did about 100 miles in them a while back in a pretty good rain and thought they did a great job. Breathable fabric makes all the difference. Hard to find better protection for $50

·
Registered
30 Posts
After I did all of the research, the obvious choice was Frogg Toggs.

Grandad 43
Hope you looked at the "new" frog togg for motorcylcing. It is a Black nylon outershell with glow stips. pants have a strap that goes under your boot to keep the legs down. Pants and jacket are double storm flapped on all pockets and zippers. legs have lower zippers for easy on-easy off. jacket hood goes under helmet for dry neck and backside.
pants also have side zippers to get to you regular pant pockets.
they have thought of everything.
Had to use it 3 times and it is great.
I have the regular froggtoggs, prior to getting these.
A little more expensive, but I think they will last a lot longer...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi "D"
Believe it or not, I own a Harley rain suit and I have riden 100's of miles in the rain. It kept me as dry as a bone. Another suit I can recommend is 'First Gear'. I have a few hundred miles on that one too, and it's excellent. Go with the two piece jobs and get it big enough to cover your cold weather gear. The only part of me that did get damp was the collar of my sweatshirt. Frogg Toggs are good too!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another vote for Frogg Toggs

Over the years I've used several different rain suits, including a very expensive one from Harley when I rode a Road King.

My latest is Frogg Toggs, which I've used several times in Colorado and stayed dry every time. They work great, pack small and are very inexpensive.

Can't go wrong with these.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rain gear

I rode in rain way to many times i got rain gear from costco paints & jacket even has a hood $40 bucks for the set works great

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't pay a shop 1/2 to 1-hr shop time for something you can do yourself in the time it takes to ride to the shop. If you don't already have them, ride to a hardware store and buy a single, or for what you'll save in labor and then some, a quality set of drill bits. Drill through the rounded allen head screw matching the size of the bit to a screw you've already removed. Smaller is better, if the hole you drill is too small to break loose the screw simply run the next size larger drill bit through the hole till you drill out the metal. Just in case you drill too small and the screw spins when you try to drill through with the next larger size, while you're at the hardware store also buy a quality small round file which you can use on the screw that spins. Remember: once you drill too big you can't make the hole smaller. I haven't priced fenders, but I'm sure it's at least $100.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hi "D", just another good point is the frogg toggs are also great if its dry and you get cold you can also put them on and it will keep you warm in a pinch.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts