Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for some decent rain gear but I don’t want to break the bank on it .Can I get some recommendations on some gear, I am a new GW owner and I am not sure how wet I should plan on getting.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Frogg Toggs Raingear. Good enough stuff when you need it. I found some on a shelf at a honda dealer for about $50.00.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Got mine at Walmart on sale $15.00 don't know the brand but it's breathable and light weight, very comfortable you don't feel like you need to stop and take it off as soon as the sun comes out. Oh and it sheds water great.

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts
Good recommendation chopin lot's of people have them & like them.

Doc, This is what the little lady & I have. Driven many miles in light & torrential rains & were never wet.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Elite-Series-II-2-Piece-Rainsuit-Jacket-p-84.html

If you look at the website you can buy from them but if you check some of the online stores you can get a better deal sometimes. They also make boot covers as well.

The one knock I have heard about Frogg Toggs is that if the water puddles on the suit it will soak through. Don't know for sure because I never had them but my brother told me that, because he did.

As always this is just one Fossil's opinion. Good Luck on your search.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I have Frogg Toggs which work well. In most rain storms I've stayed dry, but in a driving downpour for hours I don't know if anything is going to keep you completly dry, except maybe a cage, but who wants to ride in a cage... I do like the gear that Fossil has also, especially the reflective strips. Whatever you use, ride safe.. rain or shine..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the quick response, How well does the gold wing deflect the rain anyways compaired to standard bikes?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Strangepork - Like the handle. I am imaging all kinds reasons for the name. On the raingear, I am also looking for rain gear and don't think we really need as much protection as if we were riding an open bike. I have been out in mine in thunder storms and only wearing a longsleeve shirt and never felt wet. I am new to the Wing also, so I am sure their are lots of people with more experience who have ridden longer distances in rain who can give you some good advice.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The wife and I rode close to 300 miles in rain last september. Our Frogg Toggs worked very well. We keep them with us all the time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Goldwing fairing and windshield creates a fairly good air bubble around the rider and passenger. We live in the Pacific NorthWest where rain is an everyday common ocurrance,thats why our trees are so huge, we're in a rainforest belt. It seems we get wet when sitting at a stop light or in slow traffic but at speed on the hwy the air bubble
helps a lot to deflect the rain.A windshield the right height comes into play in rain too,you're either looking over it or though it but if the drip line that flies off the top of the windshield hits you square in the helmet visor in your line of sight it can be a real nuisance,I'd rather stick my head up in that case and let the wind clear my face shield,at least then I can see. And yes a good set of rain gear is worth the investment when you're out there miles from home and the weather gets ugly.we don't buy cheap junk that will fall apart,it has to protect us. I choose a set with some yellow and a reflective strip on the back for both my wife and myself because it can be seen in low visibility light in a rain storm better.Been there done that,hail,heavy rain,even a bit of snow once or twice in the Rockies in July.Serious long distance touring should include proper rain gear,thats my two cents anyway.

-Robert-

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
+1 for buying good stuff. My first long distance ride was from WB, Pa to Knoxville, TN in 1993. I was riding a Kawaski Voyager and my friend was on a 750 Yamaha. I had a red plastic suit which was about as thick as a garbage bag and my friend had a "camo" rain suit. Well it started to rain in VA and we put our suits on. Within 10 miles mine was shreading to pieces. I had to "bungy cord" my legs to keep the suit from falling off. My friend was just about invisible with his camo outfit and little tail light on the 750. I'm tooling down the highway and along comes a Goldwing with a husband and wife with matching rain gear. They were dry as could be and we were like drowned rats. I think they thought we were the Beverly Hillbillies going down the road. True story and still laugh about today..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wife and I both use Frogg toggs....love em

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've got a set Frogg Toggs in the saddlebag that fortunately I haven't had to use yet since I live in the Southern Nevada desert. I also have a set I carry on the ATV when riding in Utah and used them on a couple occasions when storms snuck up on us. If they work as good on the Wing as thay do on the quads, I'll be a happy camper.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
i think mine is nelson-rigg,paid $50 for it. i've never worn it

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Matt Can you be a little more specific about your Wally World rain suit, thanks.
Carl...The rain suit says "natural gear" on the tag, its khaki in color, and says the shell is 100% polypropylene. The whole thing weighs just ounces. The wife says she got it at Sam's Club not Wally world. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Frogg Toggs with Frogg eyes reflective striping. Bought my first set at my local Honda dealer, the second at Bass Pro. One set grey, the other black for contrast when the wife and I are both on the bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
trick is to stay warm, waterproof, and to be able to see.

layers, layers layers.

warm jackets and pants, followed by a waterproof top coat.

and some kind of waterproof coating, not unlike rainX, but for acrylic windsheilds and helmets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts