Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine has a wing that lost speakers ,he found a small dime sized switch that if he moves the wires around it will make some of the speakers work . What is this switch and where can one be found. It has around 12 wires coming out of it. Is it some type of fader switch or what.
Thanks Clap

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Not sure what the switch is as it was most likely added by the PO of the wing. If it were mine I would trace and most likely remove all them wires and try to put it back to stock if I could.

·
Super Moderator
15,126 Posts
hello clap, welcome to GWOF. more info needed , what year and model wing

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Don't know of any such animal but it kinda sounds like it might be a "tie point" or connector of some sort and not a switch. A ground tie point? Need way more info.

·
Administrator
25,902 Posts
Welcome Clap. Is there any way to post a picture of the control along with some more information? Certainly doesn't sound like a stock/OEM device:confused:

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
I'm not sure what it is you got there but if the contact makes and brakes when you move the wires, and it has the spade type push on connectors, try removing them one at a time and cleaning the contacts (radio shack contact cleaner) if it is a switch try flushing it out with the contact cleaner. It's a place to start.
Year and model might help us help you

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that it is a double throw switch that kicks the speaker wires to a headphone jack somewhere (or used to be somewhere).

It was pretty common in the 60's and 70's to wire up the stereo so you could just listen through headphones in your car/truck/motorcycle. An folks would wire up switches so they could select one or the other.

Can't do that with today's systems though. Unfortunately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a fade switch, we went and bought another and it does not hook up anything like the old one. We have the factory service manual and the wires the went to the old one don't match color wise to the manual. It is a SE model and use to have factory fade and somebody moved it to the left fairing pocket and mush have changed the switch. We are lost . I unhooked everything from the bad switch and now have fronts working but can't get the rears to come on. I am ready to give up

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
It is a fade switch, we went and bought another and it does not hook up anything like the old one. We have the factory service manual and the wires the went to the old one don't match color wise to the manual. It is a SE model and use to have factory fade and somebody moved it to the left fairing pocket and mush have changed the switch. We are lost . I unhooked everything from the bad switch and now have fronts working but can't get the rears to come on. I am ready to give up
Did you try flushing the old switch with contact cleaner ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts