Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 81 Goldwing 1100 and the Clarion radio will go on for a few seconds and then go off. A while later I'll be driving and it will come on again? Any ideas as to what is causing this?

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Check the connections at the fuse panel.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
then again if its a factory radio age might be the problem but do change the fuses, those old glass tube fuses are known to have the filiment seperate when they get heated up

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
If you can check and clean all the connections from the radio back to and including the fuse panel. Dirt and crud in connectors can act weird. And like the Good Doctor said change out those old fuses and clean the fuse sockets. A can of contact cleaner is a good tool to have in your shop.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
First thing that came to my mind was a glass tube fuse as Doc mentions. Replace it/them and also check the contacts it sits between and rub with a clean ScotchBrite pad to clean them up. If after this the radio still cuts off now and then, then check the spring in the bottom of the fuse holder; they get compressed over time. A pair of tweezers will work fine to stretch it back out a little, holding the fuse between the contacts tighter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I"ll try that.. The wierd part is the CB works fine. I have the feeling its the contacts.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Ok, here is a way out addition to this conversation. I don't know about the early Wings but now that you have stated you have a working CB, could this be the cause. On the newer models, mine is an 07, if the CB is selected, it mutes the radio even if the CB Volume is down all the way when there is traffic on your selected channel. The only way to prevent that is to turn the CB completely off or have the squelch all the way to max. Is it possible that you have the CB feature selected and the volume for the CB turned down where you can't hear it and the traffic on that selected channel is muting your radio? Just a thought.:D Isaac

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I turn the CB off when i turn on the radio.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you can give sierra electronics a call, the are experts on goldwing radios, they helped me this week with my cb and have given advice on my stereo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.