Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so its been in the mid to high 90s the last couple of weeks and being really tired lately havent done much riding...

the family and i went for a 45 mile ride today and i felt like I was standing in front of a blast furnace for nearly the entire ride...

the heat coming through the fairing (the 'heat' vents were closed as is the 'lower vent' knob on closed) but the valve covers also radiated a LOT of heat...

the cooling system worked fine with the idiot gauge staying below half-way but MAN did it get hot. what best way of keeping cool down low?

·
Registered
50 Posts
what best way of keeping cool down low?
Best way? Ride early in the day before it gets so hot.

We were out Saturday and the display was indicating 104 :eek:

I put the Baker Air Wings on Monday. They seem to help somewhat.

I won't ride without a helmet but I have to say that the thought has crossed my mind a few times lately!

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
High ambient temps and internal combustion engines area recipe for excess heat cast off. While the tupperware on a Wing may hold in some of that heat and radiate it onto the rider(s), be thankfull it's liquid cooled and not the air or air/oil cooling of a Harley or a Vic. My RC51 is a beast for heat in traffic when it gets into the 90+f ranges but the Wing isn't too bad IMO. My 1200 got so hot down in Washinton one summer the clutch actually started to shudder and slip, was about 105 that day and stop and go traffic pulling the trailer:eek: Broil City:(

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
dave it has just been hot around these parts. i started to ride up your way but it was just as hot as it was here. i rode earlier today and didn't notice any excess engine heat but on my second ride i just wore shoes and my ankels were burning hot, good thing i got caught in the rain :)

·
Banned
15 Posts
I agree with Fossil and Ken. Get some Baker wings and do your riding early in the morning if you can. I'd also suggest some LDComfort underwear. That stuff really wicks away the persperation and if you wet it down, it can get downright chilly. It's not unusual for the temperature here to hit 100 degrees before 9 a.m. and reach 115 by afternoon. I try to get out before 6 and home before noon. (Yup-short trips in the heat) Of course, all of the other usual tips; stay hydrated, stop often, etc.

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Yes sir Jeff. You have added a good thing also. I love LD Comfort products as well and they WORK.:D

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
We've been very hot here, too. I put the road pegs back on the 1200 this evening after an earlier ride in only 85 degree temp. Figured better to have crap blowing into my pant legs (I never ride in shorts and also always with boots) then to have that heat blowing back on my legs. I plan to pick up some Baker Wings, but the near term solution was to get my legs away from the heat source.

And, when it gets too hot/humid, I just wait until it isn't to ride. What makes us tough up here when it comes to handling serious winters is what doesn't help us when it comes to high heat/humidity!

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
my 1200 wing is running much cooler with the new water pump and coolant flush

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am sorry I was playing around with my new weather modification app and it got stuck on hot.:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.