Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning fellow Goldwingers -- I have been reading a couple of threads that spoke of fuel and mileage. I have always wanted a wing and a trike so I found this great 93 GL 1500 SE trike and bought it. Really happy and satisfied with everything. This is my question?? How many RPM'S does your wing turn at lets say 70mph. Mine is a Motor trike and it run 2500 RPM'S at 70mph. Are trikes geared lower than on two wheels? What about any differences maybe between 1500 & 1800?? I have not actually figured the milage but it seems to be (not so good). Most of our riding is 60 - 70mph too. It seems to need another gear compared to the other bikes I have owned the last 30yrs. Thanks in advance -- Ron

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Good morning fellow Goldwingers -- I have been reading a couple of threads that spoke of fuel and mileage. I have always wanted a wing and a trike so I found this great 93 GL 1500 SE trike and bought it. Really happy and satisfied with everything. This is my question?? How many RPM'S does your wing turn at lets say 70mph. Mine is a Motor trike and it run 2500 RPM'S at 70mph. Are trikes geared lower than on two wheels?
What brand is the conversion?
What about any differences maybe between 1500 & 1800??
There are many differences! Just to name the major one-the 1500 has a steel frame, the 1800 has a aluminum frame. The list goes on and on!
I have not actually figured the mileage but it seems to be (not so good).
I got a constant 42mpg with my 1800(99%, 2up)
prior to triking. Now get 35 to 38MPG
Most of our riding is 60 - 70mph too. It seems to need another gear compared to the other bikes I have owned the last 30yrs. Thanks in advance -- Ron
Enjoy your trike- you might want to check out www.triketalk.com

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Enjoy your trike- you might want to check out www.triketalk.com
Thanks, I'll do that - Ron

·
Registered
59 Posts
Alway thought my 05 could use a 6th gear. hopefully with the next generation GW they will be 2000 cc with a better exhaust note and a 6 speed would be great.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
2 wheel wings at about 70 MPH are running about 3000 RPM's. Your fuel mileage on the trike will be less than a 2 wheeler. Most Gold Wing riders will agree that they need a 6th gear, maybe Honda will take a clue in 2012 and put a 6th gear on it along with a gear shift indicator, and a volt meter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I knew trike milage would be less with the extra weight and resistance but I guess the 2500 rpms at 70 (if spedo is correct) is not so bad then. They surely need another gear, I can ride around in OD at 30mph & above easily. Is the wing gear ratios the same between the 1500 & 1800??

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
Motortrike had two gearing ratios for the 1500 trikes, if my memory serves me correct there was a 3.08 and a 2.48. One gear ratio was designed close to the original Goldwing drive ratio and the other was designed for touring and pulling a trailer. Stamped on the drive housing should be the gear set ratio.
Looking to meet more trikers give the forum over at www.americantrikeriders.org a look.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Trike Lady- the next time Iam under it far enough to read the tag, I'll remember. From what I can tell from two responses, 2500rpms is not to bad at 65 to 70mph. I thought perhaps a trike was geared lower than a stock two wheeler. I'll have to try and get a real accurate fuel milage reading. -- Ron

·
Registered
141 Posts
As for a 2 wheel GW, the 5 speed is great. Just came off an '09 6 speed Ultra, the 6th gear is really not good for anything but 70mph crusing, anything below that labors the motor. Any significant hill, you downshift, any small town speed zone, you downshift, to a very noisy 5th gear. Yep, I'll take the GW 5 speed and be happy.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I have no idea what the final drive ratio was in my 1500 when I had the Lehmann conversion done, but it kicked the bejeebers out of the fuel mileage, like 25% less. But it was extremely lively in all gears at appropriate speeds. One thing to remember, if they do put a 6th gear in the GL, it will reduce the roll-on power in top gear and the acceleration as well. The v-twin engine like in Harleys and other such bikes have great torque down low up to a point but when you get into hp vs. speed it takes a combination of hp and torque PLUS rapid rpm building to equal acceleration increase. That means changes in valve timing, cam lift and duration and general drivability. We need to be careful what we ask for, should Honda change their tune and start giving us what we want instead of what they think we need.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no idea what the final drive ratio was in my 1500 when I had the Lehmann conversion done, but it kicked the bejeebers out of the fuel mileage, like 25% less. But it was extremely lively in all gears at appropriate speeds. One thing to remember, if they do put a 6th gear in the GL, it will reduce the roll-on power in top gear and the acceleration as well. The v-twin engine like in Harleys and other such bikes have great torque down low up to a point but when you get into hp vs. speed it takes a combination of hp and torque PLUS rapid rpm building to equal acceleration increase. That means changes in valve timing, cam lift and duration and general drivability. We need to be careful what we ask for, should Honda change their tune and start giving us what we want instead of what they think we need.

I believe your right about the extra gear. I have had alot of experience with gearing during my car drag racing years. Torque gets the weight going and HP carries you on. Also I have found if you start to lug and engine down from a high gear, fuel mileage goes down and heat goes up. Thats why the new cars & trucks can't climb hills or tow in overdrive or speed up without down shifting. Weight verses HP & gearing.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Your speedo should be close as the drive is driven from the front wheel on the 1500. Fuel mileage will vary greatly depending on engine speed and load. I pulled 42.5 mpg going through the Blue Ridge Parkway pulling a trailer, but only pulled maybe 30 mpg bopping down the interstate at 65-70 mph and I'm still on two wheels. Found everyone that I know who have triked, they lost about 5-10 mpg. Realize trikes have differant gear ratios and tire sizes with the conversion, so pin pointing what mileage you should get will be difficult.

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
The exact numbers for the Motortrike GL1500 'Gear Ratios' 2.73 and 3.08. These numbers are stamped on the differential. Here's the numbers from MT: 2.73 gear ratio is as close to the original GL1500 gear ratio of 2.76. The 3.08 is for hilly terrain and trailer towing. Crunch the numbers 3.08 gear set will turn 3100 rpms at 65 mph, while the 2.73 will give 2800 rpms. The gas mileage may be suffering because your trike is set up with a 3.08 instead of 2.73. You may have a 3.08 since it is Motortrikes best selling numbers.
FYI GL1800 Motortrike has 2.73 gear ratio. Wheel sizing also changes the numbers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Trike Lady for the tech specs. Got under it and found the 273 tag. Thanks also to everyone's response. Now I feel everything is normal with the RPM's Iam turning, 3000 @ 70mph. Will have to try and take a good gas mileage test soon too.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts