Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, and it's great to be aboard, everyone!

Recently adopted an '89 Goldwing with 79K miles and she's wonderful. Taking short runs, getting used to the handling, and it's coming along.

The exhaust, tho' beautiful from the outside, is a bit loud to my liking (bit of a rumble). I remember what I loved about my '75 wing (it was new) was hearing the birds sing as I rode along.

Is there any way to check the baffles or quiet this baby short of replacing both mufflers? It would be great if I could, otherwise I'll have to save up for a replacement.

Thanks for your wisdom! -s

·
Super Moderator
10,063 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Wing. I don't know if there is anything quieter than the stock Wing exhaust. Perhaps the exhaust system has rusted out (it is 20 years old) or maybe the previous owner modified it. I'm not sure how you would check the baffles, except to take the exhaust off and see if anything rolls around in there which would indicate a problem. If you have to replace the exhaust you can check places like Ebay or Craigslist for used ones, or you could go for new replacement OEM pipes.. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
483 Posts
... Howdy ... On My 78 The Baffles Were Welded In And It Looked Like You Could Have Cut The Welds With A Die Grinder And Pulled Them Out ... What I Ended Up Doing Was Drilling 4 Holes In Each Of The Baffle Plates ... It Got Alittle Louder But Much Deeper Sound ... After Looking At You're Picture Alittle More I'm Not Sure Thats A Baffle Placed In The Turn Down ... I'm Going To Look Around And See What I Can Find Out ... Happy Trails ...

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
noisy is a word that should not describe a goldwing

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
quiet is nice.

I like my wing quiet too. I kept the stock exhaust. I would consider turndowns as i like the look. On a long ride racket is the last thing I need or want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.