Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone, I have never owned a GoldWing but always wanted one and I have the opportunity to own a 1983 GL1100 Interstate with 62K miles on her. My questions are thus:

Are the GL1100 Reliable as far as GW's are concerned, this model is 30 years old and according to the owner is always been to the mechanic yearly for a thorough once over (i'm taking that with a grain of salt).

Are there any specific problems that occur with the '83 Interstate that I should be concerned or watch out for when inspecting the bike before purchase?

Any advice on how many miles I can expect the engine to last being that it is 30 years old, even with 62k miles, should I be concerned about metal fatigue in the frame (cracking issues??)

Thank you all in advance, I just do not want to waste $3500 of my hard earned money on a bike I can possibly avoid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
83 1100

Hello, I own a naked 1100 and it has given me some problems only with the starter and I think that issue was the person fixing it didn't go thrugh it enough to know that it was a bad starter.

Other than than I have not had any issues with him in the two years I've had it.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
also check the subframe where the side stand connects for rust

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Ditto on Buzzard's comment, and check the exhaust system for rust too. Maintenance records (if the owner's a straight shooter) would be a help to know if timing belts need replacing etc. Valves on the 1100's were still screw and locknut adjust as far as I can remember. Carbs tires and ruber parts need to be checked/confirmed same with all other items on a 'vintage' machine: swingarm bushings, fork seals, brake system, tires, axle bearings, final drive integrity etc.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Unless this is a museum piece, $3,500 is too much. Hell, I'll sell you mine for $2,500!:)

+1 on above comments, esp about old rubber stuff.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
+1 on that!

For $3,500 you can get an early GL1500!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Goldwing Purchase -

Hey Ruben, I agree with everyone who felt that $3500 would be considered a bit high for an 1100. There are always an assortment of very reasonably priced Goldwings available - especially during the off riding season. Unless this particular bike is virtually new and your heart is set, you should shop around before making the final decision on how to get the most for your money.

Like Cantankerous also mentioned, for $3,500 you might even be able to purchase a nice, fully equipped 88 - 89 Goldwing with a CB, intercom, power steering and air conditioning. :D Although it was the Interstate model (no reverse) I saw a 94 Goldwing for $3,600 on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. It was advertised with only 47K miles with like new tires and a new battery.

Good luck, Michael

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
$3500 is tooo high a price to pay for an 1100 wing and 62,000 isnt high milage but avarage milage for a wing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.