Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I just joined the group, bought a 2010 Gold wing w/base audio/comfort package a week ago today. I have put only 860mi on it, but have a few questions, no real complaints. Went up Rt 191, scooted around the Catskills in NY and back, what a beautiful machine! I have been trying out all the new gadgets and there are a few I didn't know I had, and only one or two that might need checking by the dealer.

1.I do have the weather band.:D
2.There was an adapter in the saddlebag that has a 3pin molex connector on one end, and what looks like a male audio jack on the other end with a grommet in the middle for a 1/2" hole. Any Ideas?
3.The light adjuster appears to be on the lowest setting and the knob does absolutely nothing. Not "just a little" like the service guy said. I tried with and without the engine running.
4. Are the "info""setup""trip"and"dim" and heater switches supposed to be backlit like all the others? Mine are not.

None of these are a big deal, but I will heading down to the dealer to pick up my license plates and could get these checked out.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
that plug is for an MP3 or IPOD or anything you want to run through the AUX function in the radio. You remove the left fairing pocket and it plugs in under there and the 3.5mm plug stays in the pocket and that is where you plug in your music device.
the bike has to be running for the headlight adjuster to work, shine it against a wall and you will see it move, if the headlights don't move take it back to the dealer.
NO

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mileage?

I bought mine at the same time and only have 250 miles on it going back and forth to work. You are right, it is a beautiful machine! I did manage to put on a Utopia backrest, Kuryakyn Highway pegs and a Ram mount for my GPS this weekend (Got a long trip planned for the end of the month).

I do have a question for you. What kind of mileage are you getting? I understood these were supposed to get around 40 MPG but I am only getting around 25 or 30. I wonder if this is just part of it breaking in or is something possibly wrong? I generally don't speed too much but have had to learn to be a little more gentle with the accelerator, especially durning the break-in (bad habits from a dirt bike background : )

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Are you sure it was filled when you started, you only have 250 miles on it that is one tank of gas. Fill it up, make sure it is full, reset trip meter and try it again. You should get right at 38 to 40 in town and 40 + on the road depending on how you ride it, once you go over 3,000 RPM's you will see the MPG drop. Each white line on the gas gauge should be about 30 miles. so 1/2/ tank mark you should have about 100 to 120 miles on the trip meter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting ~40-43mpg. I think most of the gas has been 10% alcohol 87oct. I have been easy on the throttle, since it is a new bike. I have mostly kept under 3000rpm per the dealer which keeps me under 70mph for the most part. I know that my VTX1300 mileage improved from 38 to 45mpg after about 5000mi. This is all "indicated" mileage off of the odometers. My VTX was off (the speedo anyway) by about 7% I think the wing is closer to actual, but have not compared it to a GPS. I figure going from a carbureted V-twin 1300 to FI 1800 opposed 6, getting 40mpg is fine with me. I hopped on my VTX for a quick spin and it felt small like a scooter. I guess I'm still getting used to the higher center of gravity and extra weight of the wing at slow speeds. But the wing sticks to the twisty roads here in the Poconos and Catskills like glue. I had to laugh at myself too. I thought, what nitwit would ever have to use REVERSE! So.......Saturday morning I rolled my wing backwards without enough momentum to roll out and UP my driveway enough to swing the front DOWN the driveway and my front wheel ended up chocked on one of the rocks that lines the driveway. My neighbors got quite a show as I teetered around trying to keep the bike upright while kicking another rock under the side stand to keep it upright. After a brief consult with the manual,(safely back in the house behind closed doors) I engaged reverse and then drove past the neighbors like I actually knew what I was doing. I'm sure they thought it was a miracle I made it back home that night.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum from your neighbor in the Keystone state. Glad your enjoying your new Wing. Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
I thought, what nitwit would ever have to use REVERSE! So.......Saturday morning I rolled my wing backwards without enough momentum to roll out and UP my driveway enough to swing the front DOWN the driveway and my front wheel ended up chocked on one of the rocks that lines the driveway.
ptev, Sat. was beautiful wasn't it? You do have to watch out for those immense Pocono region rocks they'll stop you every time. As you found out reverse is a wonderful thing when you own a lot of motorcycle. Welcome to the site. Good people here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
With my 2008, I found that my MPG improved once it was broken in. It also depended on the riding I was doing, and certainly cruising under 3000 rpm seems to be best. Whats interesting is comparing my fill ups to other types of bikes I ride with on the same trip.

ON a 9 day trip, loaded, with wife on back, I constantly put in around $2.00 less a tank compared to my brothers cruiser same year Kawasaki Nomad 1600cc, who was loaded the same. Now that made me feel good. I also do better than some of my friends HD Ultras, and I don't need to use high octane. Not only that, the rides better. What more can you want?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts