Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions for those of you who take a tent along when you tour on your Wing:

• Is a commercial campground like KOA a better option than a state or national park?
  • Can you get a reservation for a campsite, or do you just hope you don't end up driving around in the dark looking for somewhere to pitch your tent?
  • What is the average nightly charge for a tent site?
  • Do campgrounds have showers?
  • What do you do about recharging electrical devices like laptops?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Ok you will most likely get a bunch of answers to your questions. So here is mine. The wife and I do camp on wing trips at times.
1. Either camp area is good. I have only done one KOA site. Just depends on what area you are in as KOA is not everywhere.

2. Only time we have had a reservation at a campsite was in a national / state park area. Most of the time we just "wing it".

3. Most of the time the charge has been $10-20 per night.

4. Some of the camp grounds have showers. Even stayed in one where you had to use quarters to get in the shower.

5. Some of the campsites do have electrical hookups. So you can charge your stuff then.

Hope this helps some.

Ride Safe Always !!!

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Seatleboatguy,
I carry a two man tent when I pull my trailer, some campgrounds have showers some don't.
Corps parks are like $9.00 a night they have bathrooms but in areas that freeze they usually have the showers closed so the water lines do not freeze. KOA campgrounds are nice, but u can stay in a motel for what u may pay in one of them. When you plan your trip, always call ahead.
Just my 2cents worth.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
And put 12 volt plugs in the trunk with a small inverter and. You can charge on the ride.

·
Registered
195 Posts
When I'm going on a ride and camping I don't want any devices that require charging.
I don't even want a cell phone, but the wife will insist on it.
Can't talk on it while riding, so check in when stopped for the evening.
My camera runs on 2 AA battery"s, led flashlight, 2 AA's so carry a few spares.
We get along fine like that but she want's a motel about the third night, no matter how many camp grounds have showers. No bother to me if that's all it takes to keep her Happy I'm there.

·
Registered
236 Posts
We are on the other side of the camping fence. We pull a Bunkhouse trailer. Getting off the ground to sleep was the way to go and getting the trailer for $600 was a real bonus. As for your questions:

1. KOA type CG's are ok..but normally more expensive.
2. We have gotten reservations for local CG's, but when traveling out west, we were lucky and didn't need reservations.
3. Normally about $20..but the range varies between $15-$25 per night.
4. I normally ask about the showers before paying and I also like to look over the facilities prior to paying. We did have to use quarters at two campsites before. One was in AZ the other was at Grand Canyon NP.
5. I have a power outlet in my trunk. Was easy to add. Just carry adapters for phone and such.

Here is our rig:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
From your "seattleboatguy" title, I assume you are in Washington State. Washington State Parks are just about all reserveable, and we prefer to reserve a spot just to ensure you have one. Check out: http://www.parks.wa.gov/

Oregon parks are reserveable too, as are the US Forrest Service campgrounds and national parks (Mt. Rainier).

Most state parks have shower facilities. I have often seen people charging phones, etc in the bathroom if they didn't rent a site with electricity.

We like the public run campgrounds better than KOA's and other private campgrounds. The public ones generally have larger camp sites and a little more privacy. The privates are often pretty close together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have gotten some great advice.......some of which rings very true to me.
In 2007 we took a trip from Chattanooga to Bar Harbor Maine on our Ultra Classic we towed our Leesure Lite camper. On the way up we stayed in hotels to keep from unpacking the camper. (we carried way too much stuff). We had reservations for a week at a KOA close to Bar Harbor. The first night we froze (September) the next day we found a Walmart and bought an electric blanket, etc. to stay warm. The last day we were there it was supposed to pour down rain and not wanting to take down and pack in everything thing wet, we looked for a room to stay for the last night. The first place we stopped were some really unusal cottages that were very clean and very neat even though they could've been a postcard from the fifties. It turned out they were cheaper than the KOA campground. We had towed our camper 1,300 miles one way for nothing.

Always check ahead...... we had a great trip but it would've been alot easier and warmer with a little forethought.

:D Blake

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I only tent it when on my own, and I prefer the State/Provincial parks over the KOA type, but I take what's available at the time.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sorry can't help much. We just did a little camping starting this year. The wife tended to think roughing it was doing without a hair dryer. She suggested camping at our district and region rallies. Much better camping with friends who take everything along with them. No way I'd fit any cookware in my trailer. After seeing campground rates when we were down in TN, motels could be found for a few more dollars. And nothing to dry out or pack when it's rained out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.