Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read most of the info on the darksiders, it is definatly something that I will do when my E3's wear out on my 1800, but a few questions.
1. Is the C/T the same diameter as the M/T, will it change RPM?
2. Is the ride quality better,worse the same?
3. What is the best way to balance?
4. What brand seems to be the best?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Sit tight Bob. The C/T boys will soon bombard you with the info you desire.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I have almost 12,000 miles on my car tire and it is great. However, I have a 1500 which is a different size rim. I will let the 1800 boys chime in here with their experience.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Ooooh! I'll give it a shot. 1. My M/T was a 180/60/R16, my C/T is 195/55/R16. A tiny bit shorter, but a lot wider. Didn't notice any change in RPM's. At 3,000 RPM's I'm still doing about 70 mph ( of course my built in speed error factor ( thank you Mother Honda ) on my '08 is still there. 2. The ride quality is superb: super quiet, incredibly noticeably quiet. I'm running the tire pressure at about 33 psi so she absorbs the bumps so well I just leave my suspension set on max. 25 now. 3. I suppose conventional weight balancing is probably as good as anything but I opted to use self balancing " Dyna-beads ". Purchased them from here :http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/product.sc?productId=765&categoryId=58 4. I chose a Kuhmo Run Flat tire as my first because the " Darksider " who helped me procure and mount the tire has always come back to it after trying other flavors. I have only about 2,000 miles on my C/T so far and I'm 105% satisfied with the ride and performance. The weight load rating on the Kuhmo is 1,200 lbs compared to 990 lbs on the Dunlop M/T. The " Run on flat " feature is an added bonus I hope I never have to take advantage of, and the lower tire pressure needed ( 32 psi compared to 41 psi ) really smooths out the ride. Hope this is a good general answer post.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Everything that Chopin said. The Kuhmo is by far the most popular CT for use with the 1800. The same mc shop that does my tires mounted the Kuhmo's. The diameter of the stock rear wheel is 24.4" and the Kuhmo is exactly the same. Expect to double the mileage out of your tire. If you ride two up, your passenger will immediately notice the better ride. Good luck

·
Registered
741 Posts
The majority use a standard mc tire up front. I'm using the E3 up front.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I am running a Dunlop 404 on the front. It has the same mileage as the rear tire. (Actually it has a little less because I do alot of extended wheelies and that lowers the wear on the front tire.) This also explains why my mileage is inaccurate due to the speedo comes off the front tire. :)

Kidding aside, the front tire has 12,000 miles and will need to be replaced in the next 1,000 miles or so. I am going to put the same or similar tire back on when it gets changed out.

I am 110% satisfied with the car tire. The first thing I noticed was how quiet my motorcycle was. I had E3's on my bike and when I put the car tire on it.... I feel like I am riding an electric motorcycle.

My savings is going to be realized soon, as I have 12,000 miles on the car tire........and expect it to go another 12,000 to 15,000 miles before I have to replace it.

Oh, the tire costs me $87 shipped to my door.

I plan to replace this car tire with the Dunlop Winter Sport RF, unless another tire pops up that would fit and looks promising.

October 7 - 12. I am riding through Washington, Idaho, and onto Montana's Glacier Park and do the Highway to the Sun. Then back down across Lolo Pass. This will be my last trip of the season.....

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
[insert rolling on ground laughing smiley here]

I recognize you like to waste key strokes on subject matter that doesn't really apply to you. If you don't have a car tire on your bike, and you have no interest in learning about it..... why post? Are you busy saving lives?

The Aide Car Drivers of America solutes your effort to save lives.

The Hate Car Tires on Motorcycles Association, is building momentum by joining forces with the Mothers against Car Tires on Motorcycles and the Farmers against Car Tires on Tractors.

The new association is now called Mothers and Farmers against Car Tires on Motorcycles.

MF against Car Tires for short.

So many causes, so little time.

·
Registered
741 Posts

I recognize you like to waste key strokes on subject matter that doesn't really apply to you. If you don't have a car tire on your bike, and you have no interest in learning about it..... why post? Are you busy saving lives?

The Aide Car Drivers of America solutes your effort to save lives.

The Hate Car Tires on Motorcycles Association, is building momentum by joining forces with the Mothers against Car Tires on Motorcycles and the Farmers against Car Tires on Tractors.

The new association is now called Mothers and Farmers against Car Tires on Motorcycles.

MF against Car Tires for short.

So many causes, so little time.
Oh just leave him alone Larry. Now you just badgered him and he's gonna come back

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Dookoo....pass the pop corn....please!!!!!!

Hope you put enuf butter in it this time.....:)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Do most of you also run a back tire on the front, if so which one?
That " Double Darksider " concept never appealed to me . I can't give you any specifics why, but I think it has to do with mounting the tire with the manufacture's direction of rotation reversed. Just seems to experimental and avant- garde for my needs.

·
Registered
23 Posts

If you don't have a car tire on your bike, and you have no interest in learning about it..... why post? Are you busy saving lives?
Yup that is it. I am saving the World one rider at a time from myths and misinformation spread about on the internet. LOL

The thread title is: ‘Questions for darksiders’ So here’s one: How do you talk yourselves into believing that putting a car tire on a vehicle that leans to turn has no negative effect on the way the said lean to turn (in this case a motorcycle) vehicle handles?

I am 110% satisfied with the car tire. .....

Not to mention the glaringly apparent negative brain robbing side effect of not being able to perform rudimentary math that seem to be prevalent with Darksides. (perhaps my dumbsider label was more accurate than I previously believed)

Cheers.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The double darksider concept has been delved with in the other forum. No benefits to doing such is the overall consensus. On the other hand, CT's on Wings is ever growing. My friend Dave just put one on his ST1300 (Hankook Ventus) because it is a growing trend with long distance sport tourers as well. I'm waiting for his feedback for such a bike. Truth is Darksiders are growing exponentially. I don't think anyone puts anything on their bike to make them worse. The opposite holds true. The initial Darksider's were looking for better mileage. They soon discovered many benefits such as quieter, smoother, grippier, safer, the ability to go run flat, etc. There will always be naysayers but let it be. Years from now, there is no doubt that going Darkside will be an acceptable option. The only difference is that Darksiders already know the differences and are enjoying them today. My hopes is that the tire industry recognize this trend and build a hybird MC tire which reflect the R&D provided by thousands of riders currently running a CT on their MC.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
My hopes is that the tire industry recognize this trend and build a hybird MC tire which reflect the R&D provided by thousands of riders currently running a CT on their MC.
Amen to this quote. I don't see that happening in the very near future as market share of motorcyclist / darksiders is low.

You better check with your insurance carrier. You might be at legal risk for speaking so highly of using a car tire that you might convince someone to try this very dangerous and stupid thing, which would leave you liable for their firery demise.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Remember, I tried to do that 'fiery demise' thing by pushing that CT to its limits at the racetrack and road as well. It should have overheated, delaminated, sidewall punctured there at 125 mph+ and rubber melting cornering loads for 130 miles, but it didn't. Instead, it was further proof that the CT is just fine under my Wing and a testament to how the Wing is a versatile machine indeed. Nobody elses, just mine.

Long and short of it, we have people putting two stroke oil in their gas, trying every lubricant known to man, $4k suspensions, nitrogen in tires, dynabeads, fork braces, and on and on. As for me, the two most inexpensive and easy mods made the most difference to my Wing in terms of suspension and ride improvement on my 2008 were the CT (no extra cost) and disabling the anti-dive ($20 washer). Keep the good info coming on the internet, good and bad, so we can all make our own educated decisions.

My testbed alone has convinced three Wings, two HD's, and one ST1300 whom I ride with to have a CT as their next tire in one month alone. I never solicited them to do so. They just observed and made up their own minds.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Had a nice ride through the twisties of Rt.211 which crosses over Skyline Drive. Tire handled as predicted. Sure footed in the tight lean turns and stuck to the road like glue. But of course you C/T riders already know this. I bumped the pressure up to about 36/37 +/- psi and like the lighter maneuvering response better . Since the Max. rated pressure is 52 psi I feel I have some room to play with. Will watch the wear patten from time to time.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts