Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a VTX1300C but have decided to purchase a fuel-injected Goldwing. Not sure I want to put the bucks out for a new one, but had a guy warn me that some of the 2000's had a problem with the frame cracking or breaking. Any comments or input on this problem would be appreciated. Any comments on what to look for in a good used Goldwing, what are the accesories I want, etc. would be appreciated as well as any good leads on used units for sale.
Thanks for any and all replies or comments. The Post Man

·
Super Moderator
28,433 Posts
Hi Post Man, This is the place for info. 1st check this link it is full of info.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm
Now #2 The 2001's did have an issue with frame cracks not 2000's, however it was subject to recall therefore easy to insure that the repairs were done. You can check serial # with Honda. The following year Honda got it right & to my knowledge haven't had issues since.

#3 The best places to check for used Bikes is Here in 4sale section, Craigs list or Ebay. Sometimes you can do OK at local shop but it always seems to me that the prices are a tad higher.

#4 Accessories. This is a subject you will get different opinions on. I like Xtall windshield, custom seat, driver floorboards, backrest, highway pegs, superbrace, iso grips & other things that either provide comfort or performance increases. I'm personally not big on chrome goodies. I'm sure other guys will see this in another way.

Good Luck in your search and again welcome to the site from Northeast Pa.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... TRY TO GET AS MUCH INFO. ON THE BIKE AS POSSIBLE ie: ALL SERVICE/REPAIR INFO. ... AND DON'T BE AFFRAID OF 100k. WINGS ... I HAVE 3 FRIENDS WITH OVER 200k AND ONE SNEAKING UP ON 300k. ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
PM.. Frame problems on the GL1800 were from 2001 to I believe 2004. If a frame was found defective it was repaired or replaced by Honda. As Fossil said, a Honda dealer could check the honda database and can tell you if the bike was repaired. Not all bikes had cracks, but many did. I would look for something 5 years old or less. You may be able to find one that has the extended warranty which would still give you a couple of years coverage. Lots of good deals on GL1800 out there. You might also want to consider a leftover 2008 if you can find one. They will be around $16,500 for so for base model and you get a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you can, stay with an 05 or newer, no more frame problems with 05. Also the early 1800 Gold Wings had an overheating problem, only in OARADE mode, If you get an 06 or newer that would be great Honda made several changes in 06 such as bigger radiators, better radios, euro lights, lighted handle bar controls, Which ever year you buy a dealer can tell you what recalls have been done on it, take the VIN number to a dealer before you purchase one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You

To the gentlemen who took the time to respond and help educate me, a big THANKS goes out to you. Experience is the best teacher and you have definitely enlightened me. Think I will be looking for a 2006 or newer. Thank you again guys for taking the time to respond and help me. I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

The Post Man

1 - 6 of 6 Posts