Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, i am purchasing a gold wing for the first time. i have had other bikes but never a gold wing. i have a few questions, the bike is a 1982 gold wing 1100 that was put away in winter (i live in Canada, we have serious winters here) 3 years ago with very little gas in the tank and no stabilizer. when the snow melted, it wouldn't start. the owner went out and bought a different bike and the gold wing sat covered in a garage for 3 years. what is involved in cleaning out the varnish in the carbs? is this a hard job? is there a different path i should take? what is your experience?

question 2, what should i look for in a battery for this bike? i assume a common motorcycle battery is sufficient.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It sounds like you will need to do a complete overhaul on the carbs and make sure you replace ALL of the gaskets. I found a kit on eBay for $45 that included all the basic gaskets for 4 carbs and it comes with all the brass fittings/needles that you do not need to replace (keep the original); had to get a plenum gaskets at Randakk's Cycle Shakk. If I was to do it again I would get a complete set from Randakk's, he has better quality stuff than the original Honda OEM. It does cost a little more but worth every penny. While the carbs are out, replace the spark plug cables and the points and since the bike sat for 3 years w/ an empty tank there's probably rust in there. Even the fine powder rust will mess up the newly cleaned carbs. I had good luck cleaning tanks w/ muratic acid and ball bearings (or bunch of old bolts) and as long as you keep plenty of gas in it there's no need to use chemical liners. Also don't forget to change the timing belts (NAPA auto parts $16), flush the engine, and clean the screen filter that's inside the engine on the bottom right side. For the battery, just get the right size and remember that you only get what you pay for.

Then, when you get it running perfect, rip off all of that plastic in the front, change the stupid looking handle bars and you'll have yourself a real bike :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then, when you get it running perfect, rip off all of that plastic in the front, change the stupid looking handle bars and you'll have yourself a real bike :)[/QUOTE]

ha, it already has none! no plastic nothing. no bags, no fairing. it only has one of the windshields that clamp on to the handlebars.

the cost of the bike was $500 with 2 new seats included. it has new belts already and also got new plugs, wires, and air filter. for the price i am willing to do a carb job.

what handlebars do you suggest and where do i get them?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Then, when you get it running perfect, rip off all of that plastic in the front, change the stupid looking handle bars and you'll have yourself a real bike :)
ha, it already has none! no plastic nothing. no bags, no fairing. it only has one of the windshields that clamp on to the handlebars.

the cost of the bike was $500 with 2 new seats included. it has new belts already and also got new plugs, wires, and air filter. for the price i am willing to do a carb job.

what handlebars do you suggest and where do i get them?[/QUOTE]

I see, the original owner did it all except pull out the tits. Not bad for $500. Get some 3/4 pvc pipe and use a heat gun to bend it in order to find out what bars you like and make your own. Stick w/ Randall's kit for the carbs and get your AARP glasses out or borrow some..

take care !

Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stick w/ Randall's kit for the carbs and get your AARP glasses out or borrow some..

silly question, what are "Randall's kits?"

is this a company or someone on this forum?

·
Registered
129 Posts
silly question, what are "Randall's kits?"

is this a company or someone on this forum?
Just to set the record straight, I'm not trying to drum up any business here for the guy, just passing on useful information.

Here's Randall's site :

http://www.randakks.com/Master Price Catalog.htm

If your read about the type of gaskets he has you'll find out that it's a better quality product compared to what Honda or aftermarket sellers are offering. Take a look at the oil filter conversion flange, very useful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts