Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,I have been reading on the forum for a few months now,and really enjoy all the great info supplied here.I am 64 years old,retired/disabled law enforcement officer from Alabama transplanted to Decherd,Tn.So I have lots of time to tinker/ride bikes.Own a Yamaha V-Star 650 at the moment, (which I have up for sale or trade for a Goldwing),but owned a 1984 Wing about 25 years ago,just got back into ridding last year.Well as alot of you know if you've ever owned a Goldwing you usually go back to one sooner or later.Now is my sooner time. I am going tomorrow to look at a 1985 Goldwing 1200,and I've read the articles on Saunders site and threads on here about buying one.My question to anyone that has any other advice to give me when I look at it.Oh,and I might add I think it can be bought for $1500.Thank y'all so much in advance for any and all advice.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Make sure the stator is charging the battery.

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Hey BobbyJoe!

If that bike is running or can get running for not much $$ and looks decent, it's a good price. Agree with the gents above that knowing if the stator has the old plug connection under the left side cover or has been upgraded with good soldered connections would be first thing I'd check too.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Welcome and ditto on what's been said. Just rmember it's a 'vintage' bike so go over it from stem to stern. Ride it if possible.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Old Age is Not For Sissies

Hello everyone,I have been reading on the forum for a few months now,and really enjoy all the great info supplied here.I am 64 years old,retired/disabled law enforcement officer from Alabama transplanted to Decherd,Tn.So I have lots of time to tinker/ride bikes.Own a Yamaha V-Star 650 at the moment, (which I have up for sale or trade for a Goldwing),but owned a 1984 Wing about 25 years ago,just got back into ridding last year.Well as alot of you know if you've ever owned a Goldwing you usually go back to one sooner or later.Now is my sooner time. I am going tomorrow to look at a 1985 Goldwing 1200,and I've read the articles on Saunders site and threads on here about buying one.My question to anyone that has any other advice to give me when I look at it.Oh,and I might add I think it can be bought for $1500.Thank y'all so much in advance for any and all advice.
Hi Robert Joseph, when I read you post I had to smile. I got my first Wing when I was 64, I'm also disabled via the military. You will enjoy the Wing, any Wing; however, you may find it runs too well to tinker with:) Good Luck and Welcome to the Forum.
Ps. When you get on the road, take a trip to Jamestown, Tn and visit the Valley of the Two Forks of the Wolf...Sgt. Alvin York, WWI Medal of Honor Winner, home is there. Nice country up thar!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Turned 65 in March of 2010, went on medicare and bought my first Honda in April of that year. I found an excellent mechanic and have enjoyed riding A LOT this year. He's got my '86 purring and running as smooth as butter. What a joy!! (BTW, this is my first motorcycle,...EVER!!!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts