Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I have a 1986 gl1200 asp. 54,000 miles
I am sure the stator is bad I have been going back and forth about replacing the stator or going external alt.(would like to keep original but this is my first wing after waiting 30 years and never see myself selling it anyway.)
I have peeked through the faring and do not see much room I figure I can do without the electronic cruise control servo that is under there (I do not do long rides usually only 50 to 75 miles)
But if you move the radiator ahead do you have to cut the faring so the grill moves forward or is there enough room for the grill to stay where it is.
Thank Jerry

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I wish you the best of luck on repairing your 1200. Nothing worse than having a bike that doesn't work during riding season.

Here is some links concerning stator replacement:

The replacement of the stator

The removal of the motor.

A suggestion: I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings and know wings in your area. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and they know their motorcycle. You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org They may be a source of excellent information regarding that conversion that you spoke of. In fact, there could be a few that have done it and one to look at.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys, now I have some more info to look at.
Jerry

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just finished the poorboy conversion on the 84Aspy. Not sure how much difference there is between yours and mine. But the biggest problem is finding the right alternator which I was able to do. Had to get an external fan which actually looks ok sitting there. the bolt holes lined up right with the grill. There was a plastic box inside the fairing that had to be trimmed because of the routing of the belt but not a big deal. All and all I am happy with it and glad I went that route. Except for seeing the external fan which looks natural, can't tell it is under there. About $350 in parts altogether for the mod. But didn't have to pull the engine and don't have to worry about it going out again in another 20-25k. Just another opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info twostrokes.
Just wondering I read somewhere don't remember where I have been doing a lot of reading on this someone put a external fan on the front of the radiator and had a issure when they stopped hard the front forks compressed and the fender hit the fan making the wheel hard to turn.
Just wanted to let you know in case that is something you may want to check.
I also do not want to pull the engine out as nothing is leaking now and she runs so good exept for the charging issue.
So I think I will be going external alt.
Jerry

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Nothing more frustrating than having a motorcycle break down in the middle of the riding season. I hope you can find all the necessary parts and get that bike back on the road.

Winter is not that far away again...... as we all know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree winter is closing in.
The good news in all of this is I have a new Interstate battery and only do short rides so the charging system can wait till winter. lol
So I am not missing any riding time yet and now I have a winter project.
jerry

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jerry,
I had wondered about that, it looks like there should be plent of room, maybe I'll go out and lock up the breaks a couple times to see what happens. At least that way, if it does, I'll be looking for it and prepared instead of a real emergency. will let you know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts