Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 2003 Goldwing with about 50,000 miles. I am wondering if there are any potential issues relative to this model year or to early 1800's in general.
I have considerable motorcycle touring experience (about 150,000 miles over the as dozen years), but not on a monster like the Goldwing. But my wife is no longer comfortable on a "normal" bike so we took a test ride on the Goldwing and found it very comfortable, of course. I do have some reservations, but will most like take the plunge.
Any "buyer beware" guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave Granzin
Penn Yan, NY

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Pennsylvania. Some early year Wings 2001-2004 had cracked frame issues. Honda did a recall so any bikes affected should/could be fixed by them for free. You can check if the bike you are looking at is one of those affected by taking the vin# to a Honda dealer and have them check it out. If it has been fixed you should be fine. I believe the later model Wings 2005 and up had larger radiators to address some overheating problems at slow (parade) speeds. Other than that I don't know of other major issues. Sounds like the bike you are looking at has a lot of miles left in her. 50k is just broken in for a Wing. Good luck on your decision and ride safe...

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello ddg, welcome to GWOF

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hi dgg, welcome to the place. If the bike you are looking at was affected by the recall, there will be a punch mark on the VIN tag to show that it has been repaired by Honda. The mark should be on the lower right corner of the tag just below and right of the final characters of the vin #. The tag is on the frame inside the open well of the fairing below the left handlebar. Unless you contact the dealer that did the repair, it will only show if that particular vin# was affected by the recall. Any dealer can tell you if the vin was affected though.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and they know their motorcycle.

You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Texas. I have an 05 and have had zero problems. I predict you and your wife will love it.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Alabama....I have an 02 with 46K and no problems at all.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the helpful responses. It builds confidence to know that others have been happy with what is now a older bike.
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts