Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering a additional bike. A used Honda Goldwing 1500 due to what I can affort and the most comfort feature for the money.

Note I have had lower back problems and surgury already so for trips over 60 plus miles, I would like a much smoother bike. Also the possibility of two adults riding as well.

My question is if you had or have one, are the maintenance issues much greater than that of a standard bike of similar age? Also may not apply to other bikes. (Now I have '07 Kawasaki Vulcan-I need to relearn how to ride :- >)

EXAMPLE only

i.e. the 1500's had a constant issue with gauges reading 30% off, if engine cold a small volume of blue smoke at start but then goes away quickly etc ....

Also what are the 1500 specific age (wear and tear) issues that I should be sure to check out?

Dan

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Dan, the 1500's a pretty much bullet proof all the way through. Obviously if you can access the maintenance records from the p/o is a big help, but the biggest thing in the power train is the timing belts, they need to be replaced at 80,000 or slightly before if they haven't been done already. Other than that, the usual inspection of hoses, cables, engine oil, antifreeze, rear diff, and forks/steering head same as any other used bike. Tyres should be replaced if they are anything over 5 years old, again the same as any used bike. The smoke is usually a result of the bike being shut off when on the sidestand and it's perfectly normal. As for the 30% variance in the guages, that's a new one on me; the speedos often read a bit optimistic but that's all I know of.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
As said in the previous post, the 1500 is bullet proof, the timing belts and alternator brushes should be changed at about 80,000 miles but not a big deal, It has solid lifters so there in no valve adjustment, The fluids and air filter like any other bike needs to be changed on a regular time frame, the air & fuel filters are easy to get at, plugs last a long time, 30 to 40,000 miles. and your tire life should be around 20 to 25,000 miles per set, actually there are less issues with the 1500 Gold Wing than with the 1800 Gold Wing. If the bike is left on the side stand some blue smoke will be at start up but will go away, it comes from oil seeping past the rings when the bike is leaning , I never had a problem or heard anything about the gauges reading 30% off.
What year are you looking at and how many miles do it have on it? Does the owner have a copy of service records?

·
Registered
19 Posts

I purchased a 1993 1500 with 60,000 miles and I can tell you it is much easier on the back than my VTX 1300. The only thing not working is the cruise control, the rest of the bike seems solid. Mine did smoke one time, now I make sure and shut it off prior to setting on the side stand. I did drop it in the drive way but I was able to get it up using my legs and not my back. Great bike.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
My 98 GL1500 SE gave me 11 years of trouble free service. There are a lot of add on's that you can get for the bike to make it more comfortable for long distance travel. Good choice..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My examples were made up so people had a idea what I was looking for. I'm sorry if I mislead anyone.

I do thank those of you that did add in the 80,000 mile look out for list. Any other preventative items that should be added in addition to timing belts, alternator brushes, timing belts, fuel/air filters, fork/steering head and other items that apply to all bikes?

Anything on drive shaft, transfer or rear drive gears?

Dan

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Final drive failures are rare on any model GL, but not unheard of (it is a machine and all machines CAN break). Pull the inspection plug and look for filings. Put the bike on the centerstand and spin the rear wheel with the engine off with your ear close to the drive housing (or use a stethoscope). If there's damage in there it should be audible. A good old fashioned tug and push/pull on the wheel can also tell if there's abnormal wear present, likewise on the front axle. Like I said above, pretty standard stuff when considering a used bike of any kind.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
speedo can be up to 10% off fuel guage on all wings are off

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 97 SE has 2 gallons remaining when on the red empty. The speedo is dead on with the GPS - very rare for motorcycles. I just had the timing belts changed - 40,000 miles/13 yrs old & the old belts still looked perfect. The clock doesn't work but otherwise perfect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts