Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a BMW K1200LT rider for 10 years now.
I am considering the purchase of a 2012 GW but I am concerned about the lean angle clearance on the GW vs the LT. I ride a lot in the mountains and enjoy the sporty feel of the LT.
Does anyone have experience with both bikes?

·
Super Moderator
28,521 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
hello rod, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've ridden both and have to say they are both different bikes. The BMW does have a slight edge for sporty feel, but the Wing is hands down the winner in every other catagory (longevity, comfort, Wings brakes/ABS is worlds better, two-up riding, and reliability). I've had two friends with the BMW have final drive issues near 25k = $2k as well as other aggravating issues (plastic fuel disconnects breaking, fuel level sending units going bad, more maintenance). They are both fine rides and I suggest you test ride a Wing. Make sure your ride is not around the block, its when you digest the mileage that the beauty of the Wing shines through. I plan on riding mine to at least 200,000 miles with only regular fluid changes.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
This may give you some idea.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Now all three of those videos are "RIDING" Don't know Deals gap, but I would love to find it. Where is it? That is 'GOD AWFUL" the prettiest motorcycle road I have ever seen.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Now all three of those videos are "RIDING" Don't know Deals gap, but I would love to find it. Where is it? That is 'GOD AWFUL" the prettiest motorcycle road I have ever seen.
I've done the ride about 4 times and it never gets old. That part of the country has some of the best m/c riding in the USA.

Here is info on Tail of the Dragon:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Up until '05 the LT was 'rated' a bit ahead of the Wing in handling. After the '06 updates, the Wing pulled ahead (as far as the m/c press was concerned). Then BMW dropped the LT from it's lineup:confused: for whatever reason, it was really a fine motorcycle IMO. I've only ridden one briefly but was very impressed all round. Great engine, very nimble for it's size and just plain nice. Wouldn't trade my Wing for it though, BMW's achiles heel is the cost of ownership after purchase. They didn't incorporate the durability and ease of maintenance of the boxer twins into the K bikes at all.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The last two bikes I had were FJR 1300's. I spend a lot of riding time in the mountains. Loved the FJR's, but now I have a 2010 1800 and I sure love it. I have drug the pegs on both bikes, and my two brothers have ridden with me. They still have FJR's, and they always like following me on the wing. They say I go as fast as they want to go. (Faster if I push it) I know the comfort on the wing makes what little cornering I might loose waaay worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have to remember to keep my toes up! I've had several times when I go into a turn and the toe of my shoe (boot) hits the pavement. Never had that problem on my '93 K1100LT. I miss the LACK of power windshield...... I like the turn signal controls on the BMW better. BUT..... I don't have the BMW anymore and figure I'll just have to get used to the change. Over all, the Wing rides better......Much better. My wife HATED my old bike. She rides on the Wing without a single complaint. That's worth a lot......Happy wife, happy life!!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have to remember to keep my toes up! I've had several times when I go into a turn and the toe of my shoe (boot) hits the pavement. Never had that problem on my '93 K1100LT. I miss the LACK of power windshield...... I like the turn signal controls on the BMW better. BUT..... I don't have the BMW anymore and figure I'll just have to get used to the change. Over all, the Wing rides better......Much better. My wife HATED my old bike. She rides on the Wing without a single complaint. That's worth a lot......Happy wife, happy life!!
You said it!

and here's my solution to scraping pegs, which I do not scrape anymore.

pegresize.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of your imput. I think I will rent a wing for a weekend trip in order to get a true feel for the bike.

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Rental is a good way to get the feel of a bike, better than a test ride for sure. Wish I'd done that before I bought my first 'barley', would have saved me lots of grief and a load of cash. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I rented a Wing and will never do that again because now I own one.I rode Harley for the past 16 years and won't do that again either. The Gold Wing is an awesome bike and I'm glad I rented one for the weekend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a 05 LT and found the following...
The LT has a two inch shorter wheel base so feels a bit more nimble.
The LT feels MUCH more top heavy, very much so with passenger:eek:
LT has less bottom end and feels about the same for top end.
LT breaks the Bank when serviced. $$$$$$
LT has more effective heated seat and grips.
LT has nice electric wind shield adjustment.
LT fit and finish is better.
Wing has lower more comfortable seat by a long shot.
Wing rear end diff much more reliable.
No worry about the wing's clutch slave cylinder.
Wing rear passenger seat more comfortable.
Wing gets 20% worse milage but uses Regular.
Wing has better head lights.
Wing has more options for two way radio install. (after market)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts