Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2009 Road Glide. I am not a Harley "purist" i wanted a touring bike to replace my softail and began looking at everything last year when I purchased the RG. The one thing I like about my bike is that I can remove the tour pak, put on a lower windshield, and really make the bike have some style for around town use. If I want to go on a long trip, taller windshield, lower fairings, sofa seat, and she is in "geiser glide" mode. I respect the Goldwing and particularly like the fact that it is liquid cooled. Harley revolutionized the "bagger" concept with the introduction of the street glide. Brought some "coolness" to touring motorcycles. I was wondering why Honda hasn't done the same thing? It seems to me if they did, they would increase their customer base. Anyone know if this has been done. I saw a GW police bike with the light on the back and no trunk and it made me realize that the bike has some really clean lines.

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I've owned my share of Harley Davidson Electra Glides before going with a Goldwing.
If you get the chance to ride a Goldwing, you may like it.
Glad to have you here.
As for a custom Goldwing with a cruiser style there is a company that converts them see here http://www.mblinnovations.com/index.html

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. I have never owned a HD so can't make a comment on the HD. The GW is one good two up bike and will last and last if look after. Last year there was a 86 1200 for sale here with 360,000 miles. I was impressed. Eric

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If you are mechanical you can alter it yourself, but most people love it the way it is from the factory. It loks great and handles great and is very fast and comfortable, it's not your average "BAGGER" it's better

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Actually, Honda did a few years back. It was called the Valkrie Interstate. Same engine basically as the Wing, but with 6 cv carbs for a bit more spunk than the 1500 wing had. Awesome bike, ran circles around every other 'bagger' on the road..still will. Lots to be said about more than two cylinders, even with CVO upgrades. BTW, I'm a former HD owner and would never go back to a paint shaker, regardless of the fact I'm a Honda dealer.:cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Baggy Wing?

Both those Wings look really good. :) But I enjoy my trunk too much to give it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the pics and the website. I agree that the GW is bullettproof. I live in the same town where Trailwind trailers are made and met the owner in front of our grogery store. He had 239,000 miles on his goldwing. I am sure they ride better than my HD, but I wouldn't know. When I bought my bike, i went to testride a Goldwing and was told that if I bought the bike and didn't like it. I could bring it back within 30 miles. Sorry, Im not spending 25000 dollars on a bike without riding it first. The HD dealer insisted I take the bike for the day. I actually liked the Vision better than all, just got a better deal on the RG. I'm coming from a lowered softail, so I think my Roadglide rides like a Cadillac. Anyway, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have owned a few Harley's and none of them can replace my Wing. I can drive further and more comfortable. also my hands don't go numb driving my wing.
I couldn't ask for a better bike out of the box. all of my Harley's I had to turn into the bike that I wanted.
I would be lying if I said I didn't miss my Harley's however I don't miss being a slave to the chrome.

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
Miztrz99;84027] I actually liked the Vision better than all,......
I wanted a Vision from the first time I test rode one. The Mrs. would not even go see one. She would go look at a Goldwing. I ( she ) bought it without ever having been on one except the showroom floor. It worked for her and in hindsight she knows best. Stepping up to a tour bike was my desire but I needed her signature on the check. And no, she wasn't going to pay $25,000 either for a motorcycle. Found an '08 in November '09 with 8,000 miles for $18,000.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I like the look of no trunk, but it comes in so handy. Plus I don't think I could go very far without my back rest and it just looks funny with a smooth rear end and a drivers back rest sticking up.
I used to have a VT1100 which I made custom aluminum bags(boxes) and a truck. It actually got better with the bags off and only using the trunk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts