Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So took the GF to look at a GL1500 with the Voyager kit,
are these considered a trike or a motorcycle?
If I remember correctly the local HD dealer told us that with a trike you DO NOT need a MC license in SC.
What category does the kit fit into anybody know?

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
I got my trike endorsement on my Goldwing with Voyager attached, Florida may consider it a trike even though it has 4 wheels.
You may want to contact the manufacturer of the unit. www.mtcvoyager.com for information.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
The Voyager can be removed in a few minutes converting back to a 2 wheeled motorcycle. Can the person who rode it as a trike, ride it legally now as a motrcycle without the proper endorcement? I think not, as a motorcycle with a trike endorcement. However law trumps opinion so check your state laws.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Not that this helps you, but I don't think we have a difference in Arizona. I have seen trikes show up for a test and they can't really take the test. The test is not designed for them.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
I hold a trike endorsement and restricted to 3 wheels, I can go through the appropriate program for two wheels and have a motorcycle endorsement and still ride trikes. The trike test in Florida when I took it was simple, stop, go, make a turn and stop with the front wheel in a box. I worked on 3 point turns with the trike just in case I had to make one.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Dan and joker are right here. Any info that doesn't relate to your state is of little value if any. The best place to get the most accurate answer is at the local driver's license office or registration office. Or if you're not on the trike at the time, ask the next cop you see.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
So took the GF to look at a GL1500 with the Voyager kit,
are these considered a trike or a motorcycle?
There is no registration change required when a true trike kit or an "outrigger" is added, as you are talking about. Therefore, it matters not if it is 3wheeled or 4wheeled, it is still considered a motorcycle in the eyes of the law.
If I remember correctly the local HD dealer told us that with a trike you DO NOT need a MC license in SC.
I'd check on that at you local BMV
What category does the kit fit into anybody know?
Refer to the first comment above.
Having said all that. I did not find riding a "outrigger" a very pleasant experience! There are those that love them.
The point is, you need to satisfy yourself. Test ride one w/a "outrigger".

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Having said all that. I did not find riding a "outrigger" a very pleasant experience! There are those that love them.
Yep, there are those who love and hate them. Just so you get feedback from both perspectives, I have a Tow Pac installed on my 95 Aspencade and love it. Plan to do a 10,000 mile trip to Nova Scotia in the fall with my wife. Here's a link to a Trike site that has a room for outrigger trikes like the Voyager if you want to read more on this. http://www.triketalk.com/forum/

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
In Oregon you can get a "trike" endorsement on your license without a motorcycle endorsement, however, this only limits you to driving a trike it is no good for motorcycles. If a person has a motorcycle endorsement this does allow them to ride a trike without a trike endorsement. This is for Oregon, in your state I'd check with DMV. Oregon defines a trike as a three wheeled vehicle, be it Can-Am style or rear wheel style.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replys, I will get a hold of the DMV next week.
I did some reading on the 1500 and while it seems to be a reliable bike it can have it's problems as any bike can. I bought my 1800 because it was the most reliable bike I researched, now I can do the maintenance the bike may need but at this point I just don't want to.

I told her I would get a kit for my 1800 for her......and I would get a F6B for me. I like that idea better.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I told her I would get a kit for my 1800 for her......and I would get a F6B for me. I like that idea better.
A full trike conversion with rake kit is the best way to go for steering advantage as some folks, guys and gals, find the outrigger kits a bit of a chore to steer. I have no problem and corner now about as hot as I can with 2 wheels. The secret is in locking the elbow and using the arm as a single lever to push the handlebar into a turn. Forget pulling as there's not as much power in the pull as there is in the push. I bought my Tow Pac used from a woman rider who had it installed on her 1500 but didn't like how it steered. She bought a 1500 with a Lehman trike conversion. Do your homework as I'm sure you will before you leap into something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.