Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I don't offend by asking an off-topic oil question, but this may be of concern to others.

Bob -- I just purchased a new John Deere 724 Garden Tractor that has a 745 cc Kawasaki engine. While the owner's manual obviously recommends Deere branded oil products, I was wondering if you thought that Amsoil motorcycle oil would be a good choice to use in this beast. The only other notation in the owner's manual is:
Other oils may be used if above John Deere oils are not available, provided they meet the following specification:

• API Service Classification SJ or higher
With this thing costing about half the price of a new Gold Wing, I don't want to skimp on protecting it.

Thanks in advance.

Hoss

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I hope I don't offend by asking an off-topic oil question, but this may be of concern to others.

Bob -- I just purchased a new John Deere 724 Garden Tractor that has a 745 cc Kawasaki engine. While the owner's manual obviously recommends Deere branded oil products, I was wondering if you thought that Amsoil motorcycle oil would be a good choice to use in this beast. The only other notation in the owner's manual is:

With this thing costing about half the price of a new Gold Wing, I don't want to skimp on protecting it.

Thanks in advance.

Hoss
Hoss,

I apologize for missing this. We have been quite busy since June 15th. It is 3:30 AM and trying to catch up on things.

There are several AMSOIL Products that would meet the loosely written Spec for your Deere.

If you would email me the exact Kawasaki Engine Code, I think it is probably an FD750D, and the recommended Viscosity in the manual, I will give you a few choices.

Being Liquid cooled is a big bonus.

Outside of Racing, my first use and severe testing of AMSOIL was on Lawn Equipment when I owned a shop. Simply amazing how well AMSOIL held up in Air-Cooled Lawn Equipment which, in Internal Combustion Engines, is the most Severe application for an oil due to heat and stress.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Believe me, I understand busy.

Here's a link to the JD specs for their Turf-Gard oil. Here's a screen shot from the owner's manual with viscosity recommendations:

Given that there will be a lot of days where temps will be close to or above 100 while using this, I'm mostly looking at a 10W-40 oil.

Again, thanks so much for your assistance.

Hoss

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
That is what I am here for..

Looking at the Specs, either our ATM 10W-30 or our AMO 10W-40 auto oils will work. My personal choice would be our ASE (Small Engine) 10W-30 oil.

With our 100% Synthetic base stocks there is no problem using a 10W-30, it is where your comfort zone is. All 3 are extremely heavy duty oils and remember, the Specs from Kawi were written around petroleum base stocks.

Let me know... We might have an oil filter for that... Supply me with an OEM number and I will check.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts