Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 1500 95SE. But I hate the gas mileage. Yesterday I rode back from Oklahoma City to the panhandle in 25mph headwinds at 44 degrees temps. Average of 22MPG Running around 3000 rpm at 67-68 MPH.

Best I have ever done driving 65MPH on a still day is 32 MPG. Most of the time I get 28-29mpg.

But I did notice something yesterday, every time I would stop for fuel once I would open the Gas cap I noticed it would whoosh. I am building pressure in the gas tank. Is that normal? I feel like that would be forcing gas into the carbs causing my mileage to suffer. Why would it be building pressure in the tank? And if that is not right, what can I do to fix it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
On the 1500 there is a small hole in the gas cap with a rubber o ring behind it. In my case the o ring softened and closed off the hole which caused fuel starvation. Maybe that hole is partially closed off.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Your "normal" mileage(@ 32mpg) is terrible!!!
1. Pretty sure you need a new gas cap.
2. How old are your spark plugs?
3. How old is your fuel filter?
What you consider pressure, may in fact, be a vacuum being created because you gas cap is not allowing air intake to fill the void created as you use gas??
I assume your area also switches to winter fuel mix, which decreases mileage at least a couple mpg.
Mileage continues to drop the colder it gets.
My 2000SE did 40 to 42mpg in the summer. I experienced as low as 35mpg in extreme cold(about 9F was the coldest I rode in.)

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New plugs,new air filter,new fuel filter,new progressive springs,new compufire alt and AGM battery. Run 40psi front tire 42 back tire.

I keep very detailed records on all my vehicles. Out of the 61 times I have fueled up I have hit low 30's , 13 times, highest mileage 32 once.

I read wher esoteric are getting 40 plus, I would be happy with 30 plus.....

Mileage is 35609 as of last night.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to Oklahoma City Monday with a slight tailwind and average for that trip was 28.85 MPG. I have sprayed ether up around the carbs while idling to see if there is a vacuum leak, and it never sped up. I guess I need to take it to a mechanic and see if he can find something wrong. All replies will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I have never gotten over 34MPG with my 1500. I have a tough time believing over 40, as some have stated.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I have never gotten over 34MPG with my 1500. I have a tough time believing over 40, as some have stated.
Believe it my friend, I usually run right around 40mpg, except when pulling my Kwik Kamp trailer then it drops to around 30 plus or minus.

Might try running some Sea Foam mixed in a couple tanks of fuel.
20 MPG just isn't right.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have run over 12 cans of seafoam through it in the 61 fill ups. It idles fine and runs good, the fuel mileage just sucks.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I've also run SeaFoam through mine. It runs good, just too rich.

·
Registered
649 Posts
In your air intake there is a valve that controls the temp of the air entering your airbox.There is a tube running up from the exhaust to it.If it staying open or closed it can cause havoc with your fuel mileage.If it's not getting enough warm air when the ambient temp is low then the carbs could well be iceing up.Doesn't have to be down into freezing temps to ice the carbs.Too much hot air is not good either.You seem to have covered everything else so this is just a thought as it was pretty common on carbed autos.The only other thing I was wondering about is the timing belts.If they were done they may off a tooth or maybe someone installed a 4* trigger wheel.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the timing belt checked by honda mechanic 5000 miles ago said it was ok.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
to get any milage out of a 1500 or 1800 wing you have to get in 5th gear as soon as possable and stay in 5th gear as long as possable, no reving it up to 3000 - 4000 to shift gears. most times 2500 is plenty of rpm before shifting to the next gear. 5th gear even if you're going 35mph

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I normally get 36mpg with my 95 Aspencade. Re-checked today since installing a Tow Pac and has dropped 2 mpg to 34. I shift like Doc recommends; get into 5th quickly and usually stay there until coming to a stop and downshift.

·
Registered
127 Posts
On my 1500, I always ran in the 40-42 mpg range. My 1800 is getting about 44 mpg or better. I never pull a trailer but do ride two up a lot. I love back roads and curves.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 96 Aspencade triked out, ride 2 up most times. Average about 32-33 mpg. However, as said above, keep rpms below 3,000. Go over and milage drops accoringly. Sounds as though something is wrong, but I am no good for mechanics

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2000 se and i get 40-42 mpg if i cruise about 70mph riding solo.
I shift about 2200 rpm andi am not too hard on the throttle. My mpg dropped to 36 when pulling the minimate riding solo. I run 41 psi on front and rear tires.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've have the carbs adjusted to make sure thet are in sync. 3,000 rpm is the cut off of good fuel mileage. Pulling a trailer? I've pulled a trailer all over the place and have had a wide range of mpg. 42.5 mpg, two up, pulling trailer Blue Ridge Parkway (I was amazed too), but it was all well below that 3,000 rpm threshold. Interstate bopping at the 3,000 rpm range, two up, pulling trailer, had seen as low as about 25 mpg to maybe 32-33 mpg. That doesn't factor a headwind at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If everything else checks out, I would have the carbs checked. If they are out of sync or adjustment as far as mixture, then your mileage will suffer big time.

Aaron

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.