Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the big book on the Goldwing , what is the news about the talk about changing the colour in it , what is it .??? and how do you change it or where do i get the stuff . Mine has gone clear and i wonder if i am doing it any harm to it .??? Some of you older gents must know about this . Any advice would be great .
Thankyou .:confused::confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Boy, you've got me on this one. Let's start with what year Wing are we talking about?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hello from Florida Joey. You are talking about the dessicant pack in the on board compressor,yes? I have a '94SE,i'm sure mine turned clear long ago,i haven't messed with it and it seems to work fine,even in the tropical climate here. I haven't done any research,but i think i would be safe in saying this part pkg. would be a dealer only type thing. I believe others will chime in here now. Ride often and Safe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a 91 model , and yes that is what i mean , i am still using the compressor for setting the rear . Thanks for advice as i think it would be a OEM part .

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Hey there Joey, I checked in the service manual and the desicant colour is supposed to be blue. Manual recommends changing it if it turns any other colour. If it helps, the part # is 527A2-MN5-003. That's for a '91, but I think should be the same for all 1500compressors.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Not sure about the early 1800's (pre '05) but the later ones don't use a compressor. The suspension settings are electronic/hydraulic ASFAIK

·
Registered
154 Posts
OK, I admit - I am still learning all about my '10 Wing. Everyday on this site I try to learn something new.

I am stumped, no compressor in my '10, so how does the bike increase pressure in the shocks? What is ASFAIK? Educate me please.

Rob

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Should have typed: AFAIK (as far as I know), sorry about that Rob. The suspension is electronically activated and uses hydraulic pressure. Beyond that I'm in the dark too.
Anybody besides me do the dumb thing and push and hold the 'dim' button instead of the 'trip' button? Took me three tries to get my display back to daylight (slap head).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hey Budoka,
Where is this dessicant pack located on a late model GL1800 (if it has one)?
Rob
Not sure about the early 1800's (pre '05) but the later ones don't use a compressor. The suspension settings are electronic/hydraulic ASFAIK
OK, I admit - I am still learning all about my '10 Wing. Everyday on this site I try to learn something new.

I am stumped, no compressor in my '10, so how does the bike increase pressure in the shocks? What is ASFAIK? Educate me please.

Rob
1500's had on board air compressors. Some years used these for the front and rear suspensions, some just the rear. All had an outlet in the right saddlebag to plug in an air line that could be used to inflat a tire!
1800's have a hydraulic adjustable preload for the rear shock, no compressor on any 1800's.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
before buying new dessicant take yours out and bake it in the oven at 350. i forgot how much time. if it turns back to its original color you can reuse it

·
Registered
470 Posts
The right color is Blue, I found the dessicant @ a supplier called Princess Auto here in Canada; But, any place that sells air compressors should have it..I'm sure much less expensive than mother Honda.
I paid $3.99 for two small bottles of it.. enough for two changes. I did microwave the original stuff for about 1 min and it turned back to Blue,but, if you don't seal it up or install it right away it will pick up moisture from the room air within a short time.
I'm sure in the Southern states where it's very humid it would do so much faster.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That sounds ok , now how the heck to you get the stuff out and back in ,the book ,just says leave it up to Mother Honda , which would be way to many ££££££, Thanks for this .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts