Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my '07 Yamaha RSV for an '07 Goldwing (lev 3). I am new to the site, so I apologize if this has already been discussed. My question...the book says the tank is 6.6 gals...is it possible to put that much gas in when refueling? The reason I ask is that the Yamaha would only allow approx 4.3 gals due to a tube at the top of the tank that trapped air and restricted the capacity. Thank you for any info.

Jim T

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dunno, but if you intend to wean the GW, better have some good walking shoes. Try to not let my 6.6 tank get real low, rely on the tank milage or trip meter (after getting a fix on miles/gl) as much or more than I rely on the gas guage.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
First welcome to the forum from NE Pa and congrats on your new Wing. If Mother Honda says the tank will hold 6.6, the tank will hold 6.6.. That said, if you want to try it, let us know. Unless you run out in front of a gas station, you better hope they are right because the Wing is not an easy bike to push... Ride safe and when the low fuel light comes on... go get some.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The tank volume is 25l/6.6 USg from bone dry. My low fuel light comes on at 5 litres left or 1.32 USg. The most I've ever put in at a fill stop was 21l/5.5gal. Odo showed 325 kms/201 mi = 43.5mpg Cdn/36.2 US.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. No, I don't think I will test the waters as I, too, realize how heavy this bike is...but I got to tell you...it is SOOOOO much easier to handle compared to the RSV we traded in!

·
Registered
36 Posts
It well take 6 gallons filled up this morning. 215 miles took 6 gallons hoping to get better mileage have 1600 miles on the bike still breaking her in.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
It well take 6 gallons filled up this morning. 215 miles took 6 gallons hoping to get better mileage have 1600 miles on the bike still breaking her in.
It will get better. Some depends on the rpm's your riding at. Over 3,000 rpm's ( 70+ ) sustained, she will lunch on gas. Why do you think we are crying for a sixth gear, here ? Gosh darnett, this bike was made for long distance touring. Most of that touring is covering miles of nothing between stops.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can install one of these on the back seat and then run your front tank dry.
That is taking things a little too far. that is extreme and dangerous

I get between 215-220 miles when the light comes on. You might want to take break by then anyway.

You can really put some miles on the GW before the sun goes down.

dd

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Choppin114 (there has to be a story there), not so fast on that 6th gear. Just came off a 6 spd Ultra--the GW 5 spd works fine for me. Lots less shifting, and more power when needed fast. Gas milage about the same, got 40/43 on the Ultra, and 37/43 on the GW. That 10 mph increase from 60 to 70 mph, and beyond, really increases wind resistance, and lowers milage, same for a head wind.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Choppin114 (there has to be a story there), not so fast on that 6th gear. Just came off a 6 spd Ultra--the GW 5 spd works fine for me. Lots less shifting, and more power when needed fast. Gas milage about the same, got 40/43 on the Ultra, and 37/43 on the GW. That 10 mph increase from 60 to 70 mph, and beyond, really increases wind resistance, and lowers milage, same for a head wind.
Where do you have your windscreen set at. I keep mine all the way down. The father up you have it the more fuel it will use. More wind resistance. Having it down will also help with buffeting on your passenger. Least wise my wife says it does.
On the highway cruising at 75 mph I normally get 43 mpg with the windscreen all the way down. I raise it when I am riding in rain, better protection. It will drop down to 39-40 mpg or less.
This time of year my mileage always drops down to 39 locally where it is usually around 41 mpg.

215 miles and 6 gallons of fuel is only only 35.83 mpg
I have put in 5.8 gallons once but had 246 miles on that tank. I was getting a little worried. We were out west and haven't seen a fuel station in over 100 miles.

MPG varies from rider to rider and all conditions considered.
My cousin would love to get my mileage but he is too hard of a rider to get it. I am a conservative rider. Very little playing.

dd

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
10-4 on the 6 speed. Mother Honda knows best. My little rides in the Southwest on the HD confirm the overall impracticality of the HD overdrive. Any small incline and down shifting you go. In a perfect world it would be nice to cruise at 75 and tach under 3,000. But performance and power have their related thresholds.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dirtdobber, I am 5'6" and leave my windshield at its lowest setting all the time, still looking through it, rain or shine. I do think the GW has more wind resistance typically than does the HD due to the much more enclosed front end and sides. The HD being air cooled must have more air get in under the faring, and tends to eat the air instead of pushing it. Another big difference I noticed right away after trading for the GW, a down side for sure, is its much worse performance in a strong cross wind of say 25-30mph, especially on an elevated surface. The GW has a fully enclosed side as compared to the HD Ultra, and on top of that the GW is a longer bike, as determined by parking them side by side. That said, still very happy to go with the GW.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It was just a thought. I know what you mean about cross winds. We rode 300 miles + with 40-50 mph cross winds last September. I was wore out by the time we stopped to eat. I have noticed (through years of riding) that if I keep my speed up to 75-80 mph it helps with the cross winds. I guess it helps cut through the side winds better. Actually a Ultra catches a lot of side winds to. 25mph+ will get anyone's attention on any bike in most cases.
My mileage went up around 5,000 miles and so did the power. It was very noticeable.
At our size we notice a lot of things, a lot of folks don't.
I am 5'7" at 140 lbs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts