Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a question
I have read on forums that when jump starting a goldwing (or prob. any other bike) DO not start the car why not?

My truck has two 12 volt 1000 C.C.A. batteries for snow plow extra lights or camper with a 90 amp alt.
My van has a 525 C.C.A. battery so as soon as I hook up the cables I have at least 525 amps available feeding into the bike. I cannot understand where another 90 (if the alt kicks in fully) amps is a problem.
Which is not going to happen anyway because bike is going to draw off the battery first wich will act as a buffer for the alt.

Now I know you do not have to start the car anyway but I just do not see the harm.
I am sure I am missing something so I have to ask.
Thanks
Jerry

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok I have a question
I have read on forums that when jump starting a goldwing (or prob. any other bike) DO not start the car why not?

My truck has two 12 volt 1000 C.C.A. batteries for snow plow extra lights or camper with a 90 amp alt.
My van has a 525 C.C.A. battery so as soon as I hook up the cables I have at least 525 amps available feeding into the bike. I cannot understand where another 90 (if the alt kicks in fully) amps is a problem.
Which is not going to happen anyway because bike is going to draw off the battery first wich will act as a buffer for the alt.

Now I know you do not have to start the car anyway but I just do not see the harm.
I am sure I am missing something so I have to ask.
Thanks
Jerry
If you want to replace all the electronics in your bike it is ok to start the car. The power output from a running truck would most likely fry your regulator/rectifier and other things.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
i've never jump started my 1500 wing or the cb 450 nighthawk but all my other street bikes past and present have been jump started from a running car or van of mine and nothing has ever shorted out on the bike but do make sure you don't have any accessory's on

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Safest way is to use a 12v booster pack. The output of the vehicle charging system is too strong for the motorcycle's circuitry. Might be fine, but if anything went sideways it would be very expensive and I doubt would be warranty covered.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Like Detdrbuzzard, I've jump started every bike I own, including my electric start lawn mower from a running vehicle or tractor without ever having a problem. The rating on the battery is exactly that. Just because the battery is rated at 10 million cranking amps does not mean it will feed 10 million cranking amps to the starter motor. The starter motor will only draw the amps it needs and no more. Lower voltage is a bigger problem because the starter motor will need more amps to do the same amount of work. However, there will be a problem if the battery voltage is higher than 12 volts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts