Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been contemplating the idea of purchasing a used Goldwing for a while now. A huge concern for us is mileage. We are finding them with 50-70,000 miles or more. The question is "What is cosidered high mileage? How long can these things run before needing major repairs?" Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated. Happy riding and be safe.:)
Jeff

·
Registered
690 Posts
... HOWDY ... J64 ... MY CURRENT WING IS A 85-1200 LTD / 60k. WHEN I PURCHASED IT KNOWING THAT IT HAD A BAD STARTER AND A FEW OTHER MINOR THINGS ... THE YEAR AND MILIAGE DID NOT SLOW ME DOWN FROM BUYING IT ... KNOWING THAT THESE BIKES WILL GO OVER 200k. ... YOU WILL WANT TO KNOW IF THE BELTS HAVE BEEN CHANGED ... IF NOT THAT WOULD BE THE FIRST THING I DID IF THEY HAD NOT BEEN CHANGED ... ALSO TIRES MAY LOOK REAL GOOD BUT THEY DO HAVE A SHELF LIFE FOR SAFE OPERATION-6yrs. ... IF THE BIKE HAS HAD REGULAR SERVICE 50 - 70k WOULD NOT STOP ME FROM THE PURCHASE ... ALWAYS QUESTION THE OWNER AND IF YOU ARE GETTING GOOD VIBES FROM HIM AND YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE ABOUT THE BIKE BUY IT ... BUT REMEMBER BUYING -ANYTHING- USED BE PREPARED TO PUT SOME $$ INTO IT ... HAPPY TRAILS ... P.S. ASK WHAT IF ANY REPAIRS HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE MACHINE ...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
We have been contemplating the idea of purchasing a used Goldwing for a while now. A huge concern for us is mileage. We are finding them with 50-70,000 miles or more. The question is "What is cosidered high mileage? How long can these things run before needing major repairs?" Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated. Happy riding and be safe.:)
Jeff
If the bike has been taken care of, oil changes, anti freeze, fluids etc. you can easily get 300,000 from a gold wing.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the first wing i ever test rode had 147,xxx miles on it. it was a '92 1500 aspencade and ran as good as the '93 that i eventually got

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I have been told by a good Goldwing Mechanic That if the bike is taken care of services kept up with they will never Die

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome bauerj64 I'll put this another way, my 85 GW Limited Edition has exactly 50,992miles on it and I'll be touring the Rockies this summer into Alberta and wherever else
we feel like going.I have total confidence in my ride. Not bad for a 25 year old MC. Dependability and long life are at the heart of these bikes. With proper maintenance who knows how long they'll run.

-Robert-

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome bauerj64. Agree with the others, there are things you will want to check depending on the year and milage bike your looking at. After a 10 year riding lapse, I purchased a 2000SE with 84000mi, I didn't even blink, now have 109000. A wing that looks like it has been taken care of, probably has been. Besides, a low milage wing may present with problems from NOT being ridden. :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
While I was getting my last service done, the mechanic was telling me about a guy that lives in New York and travels to the West Coast on his GL1800 on a regular basis on business. He had just broke the 500,000 mile mark.:eek:

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I do not know if this is a fact or just talk,But the Saleman told me that there was a person who had a GW turn one million miles,And Honda gave him a new GW and took his old one in to take it a part and to do studies on it. Like I said do not know if fact or fiction, The saleman has work there for many years and I dont think he made it up

·
Registered
449 Posts
If the bike has been taken care of, oil changes, anti freeze, fluids etc. you can easily get 300,000 from a gold wing.
The Sunrise Honda people said 300,000 was a very attainable number of miles on a Goldwing. I've heard this backed up more then once. Honda cars have long life engines. Honda small engines like on generators, etc. outlast everyone else. Why wouldn't their cycle engines be any different. I got a total of 7 years warrenty on my Wing. Does that sound like something from a company that believes in their product or what.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a friend that put over 500,000 miles on his 85 GL1200. My 84 GL1200 only has 135,000 km's but it runs like a new bike, very strong and reliable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a friend who is a long time Honda Tech. One day I was at the Dealer and he called back to show me something...He said he had just blown some money...His Wing had a 100'000 miles so he said he would o'haul it...Told me to look at brgs and I could not believe it NO WEAR at all....Made a Wing fan out of me---Have had 5 wings since----

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a 85 with 70k miles. I did some research low milage machines sometimes have with seals dry rott and carb. problems.Good luck with your search

·
Registered
16 Posts
Once you buy a wing it may take you several times of checking around to find a dealer or repair shop you like and trust. Example in my area, one charges $95 an hour shop time, another $85 an hour and since I have found an independent who is certified on most makes of motorcycles and only charges $50 an hour. I haven't tried him yet but he has developed a good reputation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw a '94 on ebay a while back that said 514,000 miles and claimed would not be afraid to ride coast to coast.
Talk about an iron butt!

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I have heard of many a well maintained Wing going to 300,000 miles and beyond. The owners change the oil and filter regularly, change the coolant when required and the final drive oil too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks ! Just bought a 84 Aspencade 1200 with 110,00 km , but looks and feels like new to me. First bike , since I parked my 1973 Trident in the shed in 1984, should have bought the GoldWing that day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jeff
LOL my 1977 GL1000 still runs great compression 110 on three cyls and 130 on the other but runs like a dream and it has over 250,000 miles on it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin:)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I do not know if this is a fact or just talk,But the Saleman told me that there was a person who had a GW turn one million miles,And Honda gave him a new GW and took his old one in to take it a part and to do studies on it. Like I said do not know if fact or fiction, The saleman has work there for many years and I dont think he made it up
I remember reading this in a paper or magazine, but dont remember where it was.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.