Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had always thought the GL1500 and Valk engines were identical except for cosmetics that allowed the Valk engine to be displayed prominently. Now I understand that the Valk had 6 carbs to the two in GL1500's (at least I think that's what I've got).

Is this correct?

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
Yes, the Goldwing only uses two. The Valkyries were a higher output design.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the valk motor has a hotter cam but does not have hyd lifters like wings have. goldwings have a heated manifold which valks don't have

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The Valks were the 'hotrod' of the GL line. Like detdr says, hotter cams and 6 CV carbs for a more robust feel to go with the lighter weight 'bare' bike they started as, and the six carbs look great. Once the "Interstate' version showed, the hotter setup remained but with some tour trappings. The Goldwing's carb set-up is similar to the automotive two barrel idea, but with one side delivering fuel mixture to it's respective cylinder bank, and same for the other side. A common issue with this system is plugged jets one one side or the other making the engine run rough and balky. Most of our experience is it's the left bank that goofs most of the time, don't know why. Other than that the system works great and provides more than ample power and performance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody for your responses. It makes sense now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wing Volkrie

I had always thought the GL1500 and Valk engines were identical except for cosmetics that allowed the Valk engine to be displayed prominently. Now I understand that the Valk had 6 carbs to the two in GL1500's (at least I think that's what I've got).

Is this correct?
G,Day mate the Volk has a motor full of crome with 6 jug,s and a very slight Cam , i ride a 95 goldwing a mate has a valk we both tow trailer but the valk like to eat rubber more than a wing plus the valk has NO reverse they are very good bike,s every one to there choice of wheel,d any way ride safe ,,,,,:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts